TechSpot

critical system error

By amazon_sephy
May 26, 2004
  1. Hi,

I often leave my computer on all the time. Last night, i ran some spyware checkers and found nothing... and went to bed, today i wake up and the monitor is black... great, now what happened. i hit the reset switch....boots up all the way past the user name entry and then bang....

blue screen telling me- Stop: c000021a {fatal system error} The windows logon process system terminated unexpectedly with a status of (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has shut down.

Ok, thats really nice, anyone know what i can do to save my system? I can boot into safe mode just fine. Loaded up into windows the normal way, and worked but then about 5 mins later, crashed right to that blue screen again...

2. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Posts: 372

3. amazon_sephy

amazon_sephy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 83

no, none of those are the actual issue.... a quick search on google actually brought me to a post on this website with some other guy getting it from a brand new dell... seems it was the ram, but i dont think that is the case here either, as i started up some games to fill ram up, and nothing happened. oh well, guess ill leave system running and see what happens now....

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

5. amazon_sephy

that again doesnt seem to be the actuall issue, this one has the status of 0xc0000005. However i left my computer running and nothing happened, hopefully it was just having a bad day....

6. Goalie

Goalie TS Booster Posts: 616

To test your ram, I suggest looking up memtest86+

http://www.memtest.org/

Also, stop errors are sometimes misleading- a fault in hardware or software can cause an error totally unrelated. However, after 5 or 6 you will see a pattern.

Microsoft has a good page explaining all of the stop errors, and the most likely basic causes. If you continue to experience trouble, I suggest you look it up.

7. kevans63

kevans63 TS Rookie

Bad News

I hate to tell you this, but I had the same thing happen this morning. When I got home from church my computer had the same message. I called Dell and the guy was incredibly helpful. He tried to fix it without reformatting it but that didn't work. I ended up having to reformat my computer which became an all day thing. Fortunately I had saved all my files because when it was all said and done, I had to load everything back on. I hope yours comes out better than mine.

8. amazon_sephy

Um, you do realize that this thread is over a year old right?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.