TechSpot

Crossfiring two Radeon HD 6950s?

By krayzie
Mar 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys..

i have a single 6950 that runs fine on a BF3 with everything on ultra... at about 30fps

do you think if i got another card it would be worth the peformance increase??

i have a 15-2500k not over clocked with 8GB ram

cheerio!

2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

yes the 6950 scales very well in games probably around 90% increase in most games maybe a little less but you would notice a difference.

3. krayzie

krayzie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 62

thx

do you have them installed? are stock coolers ok?

4. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

I don't have them installed, but the stock coolers will be fine.

5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Make sure your PSU is up to the task though.

Alternatively the GTX 580 has dropped in price quite a bit, you could sell your 6950 and get the 580. You should be easily able to get 60fps (no AA).

6. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 890   +171

I am currently running a crossfire with 6950 2GB setup and it has been working wonderfully. I play max settings on every game at 1080p with frame rates 60+

I do run my cards slightly overclocked though. But i am sure the stock speeds will still achieve about the same performance. I have 2 of sapphires dirt 3 edition which comes with dual fans cooling the board. It works very well even when overclocked. My cards never exceed 65c in games.

A PSU of about 850W or greater would power these babies well without problems.

7. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

Similar but older setup to Blkfx1, I've been running 2 x 5850s with BF3 at max detail 1920x1200.
    From memory (haven't checked Fraps on it for a while) it's all 60-70 FPS. With games that work with crossfire the benefits are great, with ones that don't you either have to disable crossfire temporarily or put up with stuttering/flicker(in my experience). Majority of titles seem to work ok with it and AMD are doing a decent job of driver updates and crossfire profile(CAP) releases. As for power supplies I'm running a Corsair HX 750W with no problems. Haven't done much research on the newer cards but thought the power efficiency/consumption was even more improved?

8. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 890   +171

Arris, you are absolutely right. A 750W psu would do just as good. I am just so used to overclocking all my components to me the 850W + just makes me feel comfortable with the extra power :3

But I do know that Nvidia cards are generally more power hungry and a SLI setup(If he ever wanted to change manufacturer) could be pushing it. But if it is a quality PSU then that wouldn't be a concern either. All this is beside the point seeing as I am just trying to justify my recommendation lol. Two HD 6950's will serve you well good sir. :]

9. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

+1 :)

10. Stupido

Stupido TS Enthusiast Posts: 59

the radeons scale very good in CF, especially the 6xxx series...
    Similar to Arris, I have older setup (Q9650@4GHz with Corsair TX750) with 2 6850; scaling factor is above 90% which I find excellent...
    Initially I had 2 Asus but one died, so I have played with one and I could really feel the difference;
    now I have one asus and one saphire and both overclocked to 850 (via overdrive - didn't play with manual overclock since I do not see the need for it) and they run quite nice - no problems so far...

11. justinone

justinone TS Enthusiast Posts: 210

I have 6950 crossfire and the increase in performance, especialy overclocked is very much noticable!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.