Crucial M4 SSDs get mainstream pricing

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Although Micron began shipping review samples of its RealSSD C400 (Crucial M4) a few weeks ago, the company has been quiet about pricing. Naturally, this made it difficult for hardware reviewers to depict the drive's value accurately. The RealSSD C400 represents a mild performance gain over last year's C300 during light workloads, but it's handily dispatched by competing drives from OCZ and Intel when it comes to heavy multitasking.

Obviously that's okay if the C400's price reflects its inferior performance -- there's nothing wrong with delivering an entry-level product. Fortunately, Micron seems to be taking that route, as the 128GB, 256GB and 512GB versions will sell later this month for $250, $500 and $1,000. That's on par with the existing C300 drives which are available for $255 (128GB) and $485 (256GB), as well as Intel's mainstream 320 Series SSDs.

As it stands, folks shopping for a high-end SSD should probably have their sights set on OCZ's Vertex 3 line, which has topped performance charts around the Web. The Vertex 3 is gradually appearing online in 120GB and 240GB flavors for $300 and $530, but it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere at the moment. Meanwhile, Intel's performance 510 Series SSDs are available for $285 (120GB) and $615 (250GB) through Newegg.

Permalink to story.

Would be nice if you guys write the prices and models in tabular form. Is it too hard to do that. You, the writer, your mission is for people to read this... with ease.. so that they will come back and read more.
-Your Boss

The Crucial mainstream pricing might be mainstream compared to a SSD-drive (at $2 per GbB). However there's still a long way to go before SSD-drives reaches the rather comfortable pricing of ordinary hard drives. Of course, Crucial is no exception.

Guest said:
Would be nice if you guys write the prices and models in tabular form. Is it too hard to do that. You, the writer, your mission is for people to read this... with ease.. so that they will come back and read more.
-Your Boss

I can seem to understand just fine. I'm still here and always coming back.

trillionsin said:
Guest said:
-Your Boss

I can seem to understand just fine. I'm still here and always coming back.

Don't feed the troll...

Well, I agree that a short table with the drives and prices would've made the article easier to digest. Thanks for the feedback guest, even if it was a bit trollish. :)

supersmashbrada said:

A bit? That guy was waiting for you under the bridge.

And he is green with little pointy ears...

On a more serious note I hope Crucial can get us some samples soon ;)

I just want some improvement for the people like me.

They build ramps for the disabled... why not build tabular forms for people like me who are disabled because we are lacking neurons and dendrites, unlike the posters above me. Tabular forms would really give us instant quick grasps of what the hell you are talking about.

Seriously... that guy 'guest' (first post) was just giving some suggestion.

Back