TechSpot

Crucial Releases New Ballistix Enthusiast-grade Memory

By Phantasm66
Jul 15, 2004
  1. Now I know what my new machine will be running...

"Crucial, a subsidiary of Micron and one of the biggest names in the business, has just announced the release of its new Ballistix memory line. Made for ultra-high speeds and extra-low latencies, Ballistix brings Crucial into the enthusiast market sector and gives gamers a very competitively priced alternative."

"Today, Crucial officially announced its new high-performance memory line: Crucial(R) Ballistix(TM). Yes, you heard right! Crucial, the company you’ve always relied on for high-quality, stable memory, is now offering DDR and DDR2 modules made just for enthusiasts! You’ve never seen higher speeds or lower latencies from Crucial--ever. And for the first time in Crucial’s history, each module comes with a double-sided aluminum heat spreader. No, that is not a type-o, I said "heat spreader"!"

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Like their regular memory isn't good enough... ;)

3. abc

abc TS Rookie Posts: 52

I think crucial makes great memory. I have a stick of 3200 at 2.5-2-2-11 on 2.6v. One thing I did notice about this Ballistix memory is that it is rated at 2.8v insted of 2.6v. I wonder if regular Crucial memory at 2.8v could do cas2? From what I've heard, the heat spreaders don't do much. I could be wrong.

Still good to hear that Crucial will be entering the performance segment.

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 6,504   +6

I use crucial memory in all of my machines.

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Any info on the pricing ? I don't care much for ram faster then PC3200 for those modules will probably be very expensive. But what about PC3200 modules ?

Corsair always had very competitive prices compared to other brands. & those modules still have a lifetime warranty I take it.

6. abc

abc TS Rookie Posts: 52

7. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 467

Looks mighty impressive. I want to see how it performs in comparison to the other enthusiast brands (Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin, etc.).

8. Scotty-B

Scotty-B TS Rookie

I wonder what kind of performance I could generate from this memory if the heat sink was replaced with a waterblock?

9. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

Probably not too much of a difference Scotty-B, the guys over at http://www.xtremesystems.org/ run some very impressive systems with LN2 cooling and insane bus-speeds but they do not cool their memory that much...

As far as I have seen memory cooling does not really make much of a difference...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.