TechSpot

Cruzer micro 8gb

By artmer
May 1, 2009
  1. I have an 8gb Cruzer drive, but the previous owner did something to it that will only allow it to format 3.5gb. How can I get the rest of the space back?

2. xehqter

xehqter TS Rookie

That's strange, in Disk Management does the drive show up as a 8GB drive with a 4GB partition?

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,709   +397

Do you have any proof it was actually 8GB? Lots of Sandisk fakes out there.

4. artmer

artmer TS Rookie Topic Starter

Flashdrive was purchased from Office Max, was formatted to 8gb, and I also have a 2nd unit purchased at same time that is viable and at 8gb.

No, in format window, it only thinks it is 3.49gb big, and is happy to format for me.

5. xehqter

xehqter TS Rookie

If you goto Start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc
    does the flash drive show up as a 4 or 8GB flash drive.

Also what is the model # on the side of the drive, usually it starts with SDCZ

6. artmer

- it shows up as a healthy primary partition, @ 3.49gb

- SDCZ6-8192RB is its number

7. xehqter

xehqter TS Rookie

8. artmer

That did the trick! Many thanks...

9. designsn3d

designsn3d TS Rookie

I have a Cruzer Micro 8GB and have had no trouble. I plugged it in today and it is not recognized. I may have deleted the driver in error. How can I get it to function again

10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,709   +397

Does it work in another computer? If no, then did you try the above posts?

If yes then what did you delete? Simply deleting a usb driver isn't going to do it in 2k and beyond because Windows will just reinstall it automatically next time you plug it in. You didn't go messing with your registry did you?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.