Crytek-backed Gface unveils social gaming platform with OnLive-like streaming

Jos

Staff

Crytek, the studio behind the Crysis series and the CryEngine technology behind it, is helping develop a new social network service centered around gaming. Dubbed Gface -- a mash between gaming and Facebook, perhaps? -- the service is currently in a closed beta phase and apparently it will include a built-in game streaming service that will rival OnLive by allowing you to team up with friends and play.

Gface runs completely in the browser so it's cross platform and, similar to OnLive, games are run on an off-site server so it is also independent of hardware. There's a drag and drop party creation system that Kotaku likens to Battlefield 3‘s Battlelog which can be used to start matches, watch movies, or broadcast live video.

Besides its game streaming capabilities, the service also includes a bunch of social features inspired on  Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ such as adding friends and throwing them onto different groups, posting your interests and following other people's interests, uploading pictures, and so on.

crytek gface

According to the Gface website, the service will include both casual and 'core' 3D titles for serious gamers. Although at this point there's no specific information regarding the service's games library, the company envisions a type of gameplay that can scale depending on what device you're using. For example, as shown in the image above, someone could be playing a first-person shooter on their PC while other players are connected to the game via their mobile devices, but with secondary roles such as air support.

Gface is still at an early stage of development so it currently only contains a basic feature set that includes profile creation, posting text and links, connecting with users and following people's interests -- no gaming yet. You can sign up for the closed beta at www.gface.com and check the service's live feed here.

Permalink to story.

It would also be cool if it did this as well as showed your friend's screen. It would greatly increase strategic playing in games like Battlefield 3.

DICE, are you reading this? This is your best chance to implement a feature which should have been shipped with BF3 (Commander) using something that should have never been made as it is now (Battlelog) and still come out as a king.

@darkshadoe ... lol

This is good, competition, and opening up high quality gaming and building communities by using a cloud centric model.

I wonder if AMD will ever come out with a cloud service, I remember them demoing a realtime rendering cloud system a few years back... maybe like 5... wonder if it ever came of anything.

So what happens when they stop streaming the game to people?
Or they decide to replace it with some other game?
Turns out you don't own that game, your just renting play time from their servers.
I'm getting too old for games anyways I suppose.

Back