Crytek denies reports alleging financial trouble

Shawn Knight

Staff member

gamestar crytek financial trouble

Crytek followed in the footsteps of Epic Games by offering their game development engine available to anyone through an affordable subscription model last month. The move was viewed by many as an evolution in game development – make engines available to virtually anyone that wants to use them. But according to a new report from German magazine GameStar, it might have been a last-ditch effort by Crytek to stave off bankruptcy.

The report, translated and summarized by DSOGaming, claims developers simply aren’t interested in the CryEngine. That’s odd considering it’s one of the most optimized AAA engines on the market today, but I digress.

Engine issues aside, the report also claims the studio was pushed to the limit to get Ryse: Son of Rome out in time. They had to hire extra help to meet the launch date and by all accounts, sales haven’t been what Crytek had hoped for – especially considering it was a console exclusive. Furthermore, Warhammer was only a success in Russia and Crytek’s G-face platform ended up being a total flop.

Crytek, on the other hand, is dismissing the rumors completely. In a statement sent to Eurogamer, a spokesperson said the information in the GameStar article is rumors which they deny.

The company goes on to say they received a lot of positive feedback during and after E3 from both gaming press and gamers. Moving forward, Crytek will continue to focus on the development and publishing of upcoming titles like Homefront: The Revolution, Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age, Arena of Fate and Warface as well as providing ongoing support for the CryEngine and its licensees.

Permalink to story.

I'm pretty sure that any company that writes a game engine as nice as the Cryengine does not have much to worry about. They have had more than their fair share of successful titles so I doubt they are anywhere near in danger.

I really hope their subscription model catches on. I've always felt that the CryEngine has been underused, which is a real shame. It has always been pushing the limits of rendering, phisics, animation, and many other features.

"The report, translated and summarized by DSOGaming, claims developers simply aren’t interested in the CryEngine. That’s odd considering it’s one of the most optimized AAA engines on the market today, but I digress."

Agreed. Coming out of E3, it certainly seemed like the CryEngine was being used a lot more than in the past few years.

I would really hate to see them go bankrupt... their engine is phenomenal and it needs to stay.

Crytek is the most talented and the best studio out there they make some of the hottest games and there engine is simply amazing, might not be Unity amazing but if you want the best graphics and physx then you are going to go with the Cryengine no doubt.

Crytek make games which sell freaking tons and they make engines which sell freaking tons so I HIGHLY doubt crytek are anywhere near the danger zone and if they are then someone seriously is either not doing there job right at all or someone (financial person) is taking money...

Hopefully they aren't struggling , Ryse: son of rome was an awful game that appeared to have been rushed just to get a game out for the xbox one but I always assumed Microsoft would have paid them well. It always seemed like a game the makers knew was a rubbish game but they were making it as they were getting paid by Microsoft.

I'd say that crytek's only redeeming quality is their game engine. Their games are mediocre at best and they, themselves, have been quoted saying graphics are 60% of the game experience. Really, the gameplay and the story are the most important parts of a game for me. Crysis 2 and 3 had a garbage story and the closed in nature of crysis 2 didn't even let you enjoy what the engine was capable of. Heck, I still pull out morrowind, freespace 2 and quake 3 every so often and they have horrible graphics by today's standards.

I would really hate to see them go bankrupt... their engine is phenomenal and it needs to stay.

Their engine is great, but the games they produce are garbage. Not to mention I have to use origin when I want to use any of their products.

I'm pretty sure that any company that writes a game engine as nice as the Cryengine does not have much to worry about. They have had more than their fair share of successful titles so I doubt they are anywhere near in danger.
Well that's a nice vote of confidence for them but I'm not so sure... I tend to believe it.

Oh no! Looks like Crytek will have to stop making atrociously bad games with amazing graphics, and instead just offer their otherwise superb engine to other companies to actually make good games.

Let's see. Crysis 2? Boring and cliched/ Crysis 3? Even more so, BUT IT HAD SOME FOG N ****, so all is forgiven... Ryse? Historical game that they didn't even bother to research, and a game with so much potential that they just ruined.

Maybe playing in foliage isn't that fun. Actually unless you are a predator hunting Arnold it definitely isn't fun.

I'd say that crytek's only redeeming quality is their game engine. Their games are mediocre at best and they, themselves, have been quoted saying graphics are 60% of the game experience. Really, the gameplay and the story are the most important parts of a game for me. Crysis 2 and 3 had a garbage story and the closed in nature of crysis 2 didn't even let you enjoy what the engine was capable of. Heck, I still pull out morrowind, freespace 2 and quake 3 every so often and they have horrible graphics by today's standards.

Their engine is great, but the games they produce are garbage. Not to mention I have to use origin when I want to use any of their products.

Stop yarrrr whining, it's Crytek fault that EA forces you to use Origin? pffft.

Stop yarrrr whining, it's Crytek fault that EA forces you to use Origin? pffft.
you think you can just go to the store and buy a developer? Crytek allowed itself to be bought by EA. So, yes, it is their fault. The fact that they are owned by EA is reason enough to not buy their games.

you think you can just go to the store and buy a developer? Crytek allowed itself to be bought by EA. So, yes, it is their fault. The fact that they are owned by EA is reason enough to not buy their games.

So by your flawed logic, when they will release future games that will have amazing gameplay and story you wont buy them, cuz EA, right? /nods

Please be aware, that when you talk about franchises you inadvertently bring loyal fanbase into discussion, like CoD/ BF games, and who doesnt love those games when they always break world records at launch even tho' for you and me they may seem rubbish ( I loved CoD WaW, BF BC2) but for THEM, it's gold.

So as a conclusion for you, EA hasn't ruined any franchise for those that buys them, for you or me, most likely.

I hope they go bankrupt. I really do. Arrogant, selfish company is all that they are. Yes, their engine is good, but Unreal Engine 4 will eventually be better. UE4 *shares* **everything**. Their documentation is superb. Their video tutorials are amazing. Their ask their community for input and *respond*. Crytek deserves to go bankrupt. Let this be a lesson...Open source is *here to stay*. Deal with it or pay the price. If Crytek wants to stay in business, they will have to open source their code and follow the business model of UE4. Crytek thought they were the KING of the road. Now they are riding b.I.t.c.h. Soon they will have their sorry a$$ booted from the car. Have a nice walk into ignominy. Good riddance. May history forget you ever existed.

Please be aware, that when you talk about franchises you inadvertently bring loyal fanbase into discussion, like CoD/ BF games, and who doesnt love those games when they always break world records at launch even tho' for you and me they may seem rubbish ( I loved CoD WaW, BF BC2) but for THEM, it's gold.

So as a conclusion for you, EA hasn't ruined any franchise for those that buys them, for you or me, most likely.
They ruined battlefield for me. BF 3&4 were garbage after you get over the graphics. The servers lag, they were buggy at launch and offered little in content. They were mostly overpriced stand alone expansions. The last good BF was bad company 2. They force developers to meet deadlines, quality be damned. Then they hardly ever fix bugs after they've made most of their sales. Support is non existent and they charge full price for their games well over a year after Launch. On top of that they release half completed games just to sell the other half as dlc. You can't even play multiplayer unless you buy it.

they are a garbage company and I refuse to support their business practices.

Back