CS:S lag (sometimes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
I use to play Counter Strike: Source on my computer, but after I bought a new computer my CS:S is lagging sometimes. I not everytime, but every second minutes i guess.The game stops for a few seconds before i relize that I'm dead dude to the lag.. :/
I have a laptop. Not very good laptop, but I can play CS:S with low graphic, and no lag. After I bought a new computer, it sometimes lag with and without low graphic settings.

If it helps, here is some information about my new computer:
Processor: AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core, 2.10 GHz
Ram: 3 GB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS

Does anybody know the problem, or now a solution to the problem? :)
Thanks!

I would make sure you have nothing running in the background (Limewire, etc.). In my opinion, it sounds like some background program.

Try running the game on one affinity. Someone else will have to provide details (never run dual cores)...

Have you tried changing your rates?

In your autoexec.cfg ( located in "\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg" you might have to make it. )

cl_cmdrate "101"
cl_interp "0.01"
cl_interpolate "1"
cl_lagcomp_errorcheck "0"
cl_lagcompensation "1"
cl_smooth "1"
cl_updaterate "101"
rate "25000"

BUT, If I am not mistaken, the rates shouldn't be set to 101 as that can "mask" the true latency, right?

I have been told to make it 100 as to not mask them.

BUT, If I am not mistaken, the rates shouldn't be set to 101 as that can "mask" the true latency, right?

I have been told to make it 100 as to not mask them.

No, if you're playing CAL, CEVO, etc. then the way to see your true ping is by typing "ping" in console. The reason you make it 101 instead of just 100 is because 101 is a dynamic rate so if you join a 33tick server, it'll be 33 tick, if you join a 100 tick it'll be 100 tick. It's just for consistency and less headaches.

I have tried changing my rates, but it still laggs :/
But how do I run the game on one affinity? ;)

When you launch the game, go to Desktop ( alt tab or windows key ) and press Control Alt Delete, rightclick on hl2.exe and click "Set Affinity..." and change how many cores you run with CSS. It only works if you have a Dual or Quad Core since a single core only has 1 affinity. ;)

You have to do it every time you run CSS, so try it a few times and tell us if it works or not.

-edit-

Also, since you're using a Laptop you could possibly be over heating. Download CoreTemp and tell us the temperatures you get before playing, while playing and after playing ( wait like 5 minutes after you exit CSS )

When you launch the game, go to Desktop ( alt tab or windows key ) and press Control Alt Delete, rightclick on hl2.exe and click "Set Affinity..." and change how many cores you run with CSS. It only works if you have a Dual or Quad Core since a single core only has 1 affinity. ;)

You have to do it every time you run CSS, so try it a few times and tell us if it works or not.
Hey TimeParadoX, thanks for info :)
I have tried it with one, two and three cores, but still it laggs when I'm playing. :/

Also, since you're using a Laptop you could possibly be over heating. Download CoreTemp and tell us the temperatures you get before playing, while playing and after playing ( wait like 5 minutes after you exit CSS )

Well, I can do so, but I don't have problem with my laptop ;) It's my new stationary computer that laggs when I'm playing CS:S.
I can play well with my laptop, exept that I must have the graphic settings to low :/

Hey TimeParadoX, thanks for info :)
I have tried it with one, two and three cores, but still it laggs when I'm playing. :/

Well, I can do so, but I don't have problem with my laptop ;) It's my new stationary computer that laggs when I'm playing CS:S.
I can play well with my laptop, exept that I must have the graphic settings to low :/

Oh okay, I was confused. Could you still do the CoreTemp for your desktop, I want to know if you're overheating or if it's just internet related.

Before playing:
21 degrees

While playing:
31 degrees

After playing:
24 degrees

:)

Hmm... You're not overheating, you have really good temps actually. :D

I guess it's just internet related lag then, what kind of router do you have? Or do you just plug directly into a Modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back