TechSpot

CSS Fps problem

By FrederikNeertof
Jun 24, 2008
  1. Hey guys. In the start of 2008 I bought a laptop with vista home, and installed Counterstrike Source on it. It ran pretty good on high settings, with a fps on 80-100.

However, I got tired of vista and decided to install XP pro. My computer crashed, and I had to pick up my vista cd and re-install that, lol.

Anyway, my problem is that CSS is running kind of bad now. Currently my resolution in game is 800x600 and I have everything set on low, still I get 30-60 fps. Something is not right :p
    I have DirectX 10 and my drivers are fully updated (I believe so.)
    My system specs are:
    nVidia GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
    IntelCore2 Duo T7500 @ 2,40 GHz
    4094MB Ram
    DirectX 10

It should run CSS just fine :(

Any help on why my fps is so low is highly appreciated!

Best Regards, Fred.

2. FrederikNeertof

FrederikNeertof TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 37

Edit: I also have a Notebook cooler which works pretty well.

3. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

This could help, please follow the directs carefully.
    DriverSweeper

Correct:
    [​IMG]

Incorrect: Warning, if you do this you will not be able to boot.
    [​IMG]

4. FrederikNeertof

Ty

Thanks alot TimeParadoX, I'll try that.

5. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,379

6. FrederikNeertof

Hey guys. Thanks alot for your answers. I've been trying what you suggested yesterday, however none of this seemed to have helped me. :(
    My cousin have the exact same laptop as me, with the same hardware. He runs CS:S in full resolution and graphics without any problems, and around 80-100 fps. We also have the same Graphic driver installed. Not to mention I also tried the Driver Sweeper. I don't have ServicePack 1 for vista, could that really solve my problem? My cousin, as I was talking about, doesn't have ServicePack1 installed.
    Also, when we go to the Vista Power test thingy, his ram gets a score on 5,2 while mine gets a score on 3,3 :S As mentioned, we have the exact same hardware.
    Any thoughts on this guys?
    Thanks,

Best Regards,
    Fred :)

7. Dicee

Dicee TS Rookie Posts: 36

Norton? that slows it down a hell of alot.... i remember tellin people thats a stupid thing to say.. but no it really does.. its a pile of poop!

8. Dicee

are you taking part in any beta programs?

9. TimeParadoX

What anti-virus software do you have? If it's Norton antivirus that could be most likely the problem. Norton is a huge resource hog that doesn't really protect against viruses ( and could itself be considered one ). You might also be infected with a virus of some sort, you might want to read this ( click ) only after getting rid of Norton, with this

10. FrederikNeertof

Nope, I am using AVG 8. I have scanned my computer with AVG and Ad-Aware and it found nothing. I just re-installed vista on my computer a few days ago, so there shouldnt really be any viruses. :)

To Dicee: Nope I am not taking part of any beta programs.

I really don't know what the matter is, lol.
    I have just un-installed CS:S and at the moment it is updating. I will let you guys know if it made any difference.
    Thanks alot for the help you posted!

11. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

12. mopar man

It's a laptop, so it is prone to overheating. Make sure its cooled enough.

13. FrederikNeertof

Hey guys.I have just finished reinstalling CS:S and it actually solved the problem. Wohooo. Thanks alot for your help though.

to mopar_man:

My room is pretty cold, and I have an Antec Notebook cooler, I also use speed fans to check the tempature and it seems to be cool enough.

14. FrederikNeertof

SpeedFan* not speed fans.
    My bad.

15. TimeParadoX

I didn't say it WAS a virus, I said it could be considered one with the characteristics it has. Such as longer boot times and a huge amount of system resources it hogs. Also, enjoy your many viruses from Norton's "üb3r Pro-security".

16. pcnthuziast

17. mopar man

It may work, but it will slow the computers down, in some way or another.

Then again, if you benchmark it's viruses caught against others, I am willing to bet it doen'st catch as some other good AV programs.

18. pcnthuziast

19. Dicee

im not considering it a virus... It slows down PCs a hell of alot... You probly dnt know the difference if u have been using it for ages. try using the removal tool and see if u notice the difference with loading internet explorer etc...

20. TimeParadoX

Just stop replying to his posts, he's just a troll who is trying to prove his point by bringing threads back to life for stupid reasons.

21. pcnthuziast

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.