Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't bring up Task manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD2800+

Title is about all there is to it... :( All three keys work fine individually. Tried different combinations too, like left/right Ctrl & alt and the Del key on the numeric pad.

Also tried Start>Run "Taskmgr" but i get a message saying "Another program is currently using this file".

Spyware, virus, error somewhere? Please help, thanks in advance.

Uh..... All I can really think is that you have a linked computer or share it with an Administarive account, And whoever uses that one keeps it on Ctr Alt Del. You could Also Serch for it in Search and see what you get there, you mightv'e gotton on it once and selected a option that said no to brink it up, Or It might be running in the bottom right corner with the icons. Look there. Hope I helped!!

You may well have a virus/malware infection.

Go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Then go HERE for instructions on how to post your Hijackthis log as an attachment.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Thanks for that, but.... Eek! Do i have to follow absolutely everything in that page? Computer isn't networked, and there are no seperate accounts on it.

You will need to download and run the programmes suggested by RBS.

These will help to clean your computer of many malware infections.

If after that you are still having problems, then you will need to post a HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

Right, finally got round to it....

Removed, we need logs as ATTACHMENTS, please!

So, yeah, theres a few there. Plus heaps of logitech ones, but they ain't the problem.

Yeah, mate, ROFL. Some of us don't have hours to waste doing that. I merely posted the part i figured would tell you what it has found.

Nope, i haven't :( I even tried opening task manger in the dllcache folder (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\taskman.exe), nothing happens. You don't even get the "Another program is currently using this file" message through Run>Taskmgr.

Anyway, theres the log.

Boot in Safe Mode, see how here.
Switch System restore OFF, see how here.
In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.

Next, open Windows Task Manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
Click the Processes tab, select the process (if there) and click End Process for:
mDNSResponder.exe
winupdates.exe
block-checker.exe
MsgPlus.exe
webshots.scr
wnuf.exe
gusbw.exe
hzkm.exe
Launcher.exe
DAP.EXE

Next, click Start/Run and type services.msc and click OK. Look for the service:
mDNSResponder.exe
Doubleclick it, click Stop if it's running, and change the Startup type to Disabled.

Next, click on Start/Run and type in (followed by press Enter):
regsvr32 /u C:\Program Files\Desktop Sidebar\sbhelp.dll

Next, click Start/Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs. If there, UNinstall anything to do with:
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\winupdates\winupdates.exe
C:\Program Files\Block Checker\block-checker.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Craig\Desktop\Evan's Briefcase\Programs or games\MsgPlus.exe <<== MessengerPlus3 is ad/spyware riddled
C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
C:\Program Files\Desktop Sidebar\sbhelp.dll
C:\Program Files\DAP\DAP.EXE <<== DownloadAccelleratorPlus is ad-riddled

Next, run a HJT scan and (if still there) place a tick-mark in the little square before:
...................................................................................................
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\winupdates\winupdates.exe
C:\Program Files\Block Checker\block-checker.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Craig\Desktop\Evan's Briefcase\Programs or games\MsgPlus.exe
C:\WINDOWS\webshots.scr

O2 - BHO: DAPHelper Class - {0000CC75-ACF3-4cac-A0A9-DD3868E06852} - C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: Idea2 SidebarBrowserMonitor Class - {45AD732C-2CE2-4666-B366-B2214AD57A49} - C:\Program Files\Desktop Sidebar\sbhelp.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: DAP Bar - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPIEBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wnuf] C:\WINDOWS\wnuf.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JVM0.12] C:\WINDOWS\system32\gusbw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JVM0.14] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hzkm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winupdates] C:\Program Files\winupdates\winupdates.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BlockChecker] C:\Program Files\Block Checker\block-checker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Documents and Settings\Craig\Desktop\Evan's Briefcase\Programs or games\MsgPlus.exe"
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O9 - Extra button: Subscribe in Desktop Sidebar - {09FE188B-6E85-479e-9411-51FB2220DF80} - C:\Program Files\Desktop Sidebar\sbhelp.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Subscribe in Desktop Sidebar - {09FE188B-6E85-479e-9411-51FB2220DF80} - C:\Program Files\Desktop Sidebar\sbhelp.dll
O9 - Extra button: Run DAP - {669695BC-A811-4A9D-8CDF-BA8C795F261C} - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\DAP.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger Addon - {FB5F1911-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - http://messenger.ipfox.com (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Messenger Addon - {FB5F1911-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - http://messenger.ipfox.com (file missing)

Fix ALL your O16 - DPF: entries

These 210.11... are from:
netname: AAPT
descr: AAPT Limited
descr: 180-188 Burnley St
descr: Richmond VIC 3121
If not your ISP, FIX this
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8C800D11-6515-4DBF-8DEF-269DD20C191A}: NameServer = 210.11.200.2,210.11.200.3

These 210.80... are from:
netname: UUNET-ASPAC2
descr: UUNET Technologies, Inc.
descr: Asian Networking Group
descr: Fairfax, VA 22031
If not your ISP, FIX this
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{C8DBB637-CD42-4BCB-BD5B-037B6CA1091A}: NameServer = 210.80.58.42 210.80.58.34

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual CD v4 Security service (VCDSecS) - Unknown owner - C:\Documents and Settings\Craig\Desktop\Evan's Briefcase\Programs or games\System\vcdsecs.exe (file missing)
...................................................................................................
Now click on the Fix Checked button in HJT. Exit HJT.

To fix this: O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
Download and run LSPFix from http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm
1. Run LSPFix.
2. Check 'I know what I'm doing'.
3. Select 'mdnsnsp.dll'.
4. Click the right-pointing arrow (moves it to the "remove" page).
5. Click 'Finished'.

When all the above is done, from between the above dotted lines, delete the highlighted bold files.
When a \directory-name\ is bold, delete everything in it, including that directory itself.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Rightclick IE on the desktop, select Properties, click on Delete Cookies, and Delete Files.
Delete ALL files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
XP only: Delete ALL files from C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch.
Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

LOL... small error there mate... refer to my first post. I cannot open task manager. Skip it & go to next step?

I tried all the programs. None of them worked.

Anyway, i got Microsoft antispyware beta because of that damn block checker. He said it got rid of the block checker. Installed, ran it, after getting update, found block checker & a few others. 10 mins later, program froze, hit Ctrl Alt Del as a natural reflex, and it appeared. W00t. Maybe Microsoft ain't so bad after all.

Yeah, ask me in a couple of weeks if i still think that. Haha.

Where did u get that Beta?

Hey AMD,

where did u get that microsoft beta that you talked about in ur last post. My comp just started doing that same thing today.

I had this same problem, (ctrl+alt+del not working) and when I finally went to my system startup processes I disabled everything. Upon reboot, ctrl+alt+del worked again. (It wasn't working in safemode, either- before the msconfig changes I made)

I've been through each start up prgm listed, and none are any malicious prgms, etc. Any ideas on how to check up on this without downloading a bunch of different things? (I hate putting stuff on my computer I am unfamiliar with)

Also, does this micro$oft beta thing work in conjunction with mozilla by any chance?

edit nm- can't run that windows beta thing anyhow since I don't have sp2 and don't want it. :/

Well I tried getting rid of the Welcome screen, as suggested in the last post, and now CTRL+ALT+DEL does bring up Task Manager, but when I press the Task Manager button it still doesn't give me a list of which programs are currently running :(

So going from XP Home to XP Pro seems to have caused the change that stopped CTRL+ALT+DEL working in the first place, but I still haven't found a total solution

And I'm now fairly confident that my PC is free of malware :p

I've also noticed that when I try to change the date/time, either by double clicking on the date or right clicking and selecting Adjust Date/Time, that doesn't work either

Both of these functions work properly when I boot in safe mode

My HJT log is attached, please let me know if you would prefer me to open a new thread instead of using this existing one :)

I've already done what you said to do in post #3 of this thread, which took over 3 hours, and I'm absolutely gutted to find that you now seem to be directing to me another long list of programs, some of which were already included in the previous pages you directed us to

I have to go to work now, when I return I'll try to work out whether Tool 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 are actually programs you already told me to download in the other thread, or whether I need to do a load more downloading / installing / rebooting in Safe Mode

I wasn`t aware of what you`d tried and that`s why it`s so important to open your own thread, rather than posting in someone elses thread.

Just follow the instructions in the link I gave you for renaming HijackThis.exe and also for running AVG Antispyware.

Then, open a new thread and post the resulting HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments.

I`ll then advise you further.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back