TechSpot

Ctrl+F11 not working on Vista

By Daner
Jul 7, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have Vista installed and now i want to go back to XP but since i bought my computer after a certain date they didnt give me a XP CD. Instead they gave me instructions to use the Ctrl+F11 at the boot screen. But now thats not working on Vista. Can anyone help me?
  2. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,624

can u please give some (all details) on the computer?
  3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

We need to know brand, model, and approximate date during which you purchased it.
    It sounds like a Dell install or an HP Install.
    Have you downloaded and installed all the drivers from the manufacturers web site for that computer... particularly the BIOS, Chipset, and everything specifically there for VISTA.
    Does this hidden partition have Windows XP Home, Professional or Media Center?
  4. Daner

Daner TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 58

Its a Dell Dimension 9150. cant remember which date i bought it though. I just installed Bio from Dells website and it didnt help
  5. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

It is still under warranty. Using the service tag number and the express service code, I would call the Dell Tech support people when you have a free day, and get the fix from them.
    You information is correct. We repair a large number of Dells and the <CTRL> <F11> always works for us. I don't suppose you formatted the entire drive, wiping out the hidden partition, did you?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.