Cursor changing to hourglass after boot-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newrotic

I have XP Home, SP2. I boot up the computer. The first time I right-click on anything, the cursor becomes an hourglass. I can still mover the cursor around but it doesn’t function, I can't do anything.
So I have to Ctl-Atl-Del. and end the “not responding” program in the “Task Manager”.
After that, everything works fine as long as I don't reboot. So it's just the first right-click after booting.

If my first right click is on a “Desktop” folder, the “Task Manager” can’t help me as there is no folder or program open for it to end. In this case the “Reset button” is the only way out.
I finally got used to the routine but after a couple of months my computer refused to boot.

I’ve since reformatted and re-installed XP but the same problem has started up again.

Can any body help me with this problem?
Cheers,
Royboy

It sounds like a faulty Context menu handler
Here is an old program to view (and individually delete) unwanted context menu handlers: http://www.bartdart.com/downloads/contextmenueditorinstall.exe
Oh, it opens the Home site (for me) just scroll down to "Context Menu Editor" and click on it

Run it and then disable any unwanted context items
These right click items, are actually found here in registry:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Hourglass cursor

It sounds like a faulty Context menu handler
Here is an old program to view (and individually delete) unwanted context menu handlers: http://www.bartdart.com/downloads/contextmenueditorinstall.exe
Oh, it opens the Home site (for me) just scroll down to "Context Menu Editor" and click on it

Run it and then disable any unwanted context items
These right click items, are actually found here in registry:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Thank you Kimsland, you put me in the right direction.
I eventually tracked down a Shell Extensions Manager called "ShellExView"
This utility revealed a context menu that enabled me to trace my problem to a small application called "Eraser" that I had installed.
I disabled two entries in the menu and Hey Presto, problem solved.
Thanks again, Royboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back