Cursor moving by itself erroneously on Windows Vista laptop

prasadvp

Hai,
I am facing the problem of mouse pointer moving by itself without any control, on my Windows Vista laptop. The pointer is moving to the right-top corner of any open window and placed on the 'Close' (X) button and if mouse is clicked or Enter key prressed, accidently closing the active window. I tried many anti-malware and anti virus tools as per the same issue posted in Virus and Malware removal section here.While doing the steps according to the replies everytime, first it looks like the issue is solved but it is still there when the system is restarted. Please help me on this problem which is causing lot of nuisance and disturbance for my work. Thank you.

Regards,
Prasad.

It doesn't happen often, but the laptops touch pad may be waring out or is dirty. I have replaced physically broken touch pads with the same symptom as you describe here

The simple way to diagnose if your touch pad is going out on your laptop is this....

Go to where it is that you store or stash your old computer hardware, drawer, card board box ect. Dig out a USB corded mouse and plug it into one of the USB ports on your laptop. Go about you day just using the USB mouse and forget you even have a touch pad for a while. While computing see if your mouse pointer behaves badly again, if so and your only using the USB mouse than the problem is bigger than a touch pad that is on it's way out. But if your pointer behaves like a saint and is well mannered and is problem free, while on the USB mouse, than it's your touch pad, it's going out!

Mouse pointer moving by itself erroneously on my Windows Vista laptop

Hai,
The problem is there when using touchpad or USB mouse. I tried both. Please help on this issue.
Regards,
Prasad

Sometimes there is a button or another way to turn off the touch pad when the laptop is on. Look for a synaptics red icon on the right side of the task bar. Click on this icon and see if you have the option to turn of the touch pad there

When I type, sometimes my palms touch the touchpad and make it move.
me too - - drives me nuts, so I disabled the bumb-2-click and use the buttons below the pad for clicking.

I got a blue tooth mini-mouse (that's not MICKEY mouse) for normal activities.

Back to the OP; I would suspect a virus.

Hai,
I am having a Toshoba-Tecra M10-12O laptop. Nothing to do with the touch pad or mouse. I also suspect this to be a virus or malware.Please help on this issue.
Regards,
Prasad

How about wiping and reloading Windows fresh? If you have recovery software for this laptop use it

Hai
I don't have a recovery disk and can't format the laptop as many softwares are installed for which I don't have a CD to re-install all of them again. Please suggest some good virus or malware removal tools to fix this issue, who faced similar problem earlier.

Regards
Prasad

For malware help, follow the 8 steps provided HERE. Create a new thread in the Malware removal forum. Be sure you PASTE all your logs (do not attach them). The experts there will provide you malware removal assitance if needed

well...this might be a bit too late but I'll post anyways. That laptop has a little mouse point thingy ("Toshiba AccuPoint") in the middle of the keyboard right? -try to disable it via the device manager.
I have seen several cases like this and that mouse point thingy in the keyboard is mostly the reason for this kind of problems...

Disable any legacy USB devices in the BIOS. Also these TSP drivers can be flaky at best. If you're done everything then it's hardware. But changing the faulty part might not even solve this. Could be a OEM issue from the start. A lemon. Some ACER, ACER/Gateway do the same thing. You can disabled the TSP and use external mouse instead.

Back