Custom build will not remain on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I got done building my first build the end of July, but thing is, it has not worked since. I have replaced parts, checked power supplies, replaced the motherboard, processor, etc, and it is still a no go. What happens is that I will push the power button, the computer will remain on for maybe 10 seconds max and then cycle forever, never staying on longer than 20 seconds at most. I get no display from the video card (motherboard has no onboard graphics) and only get beep codes about 1 in 5 times if I remove the RAM. Thing that puzzled me is that the system will remain powered on without the processor, but once the processor is put in, the cycle begins.

CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 2.5GHz Wolfdale
Motherboard: MSI P43 Neo3-F LGA 775
Memory: Crucial 2GB DDR2 SDRAM 800
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB
Video Card: ZOTAC ZT-84MEH3P-FSL GeForce 8400 GS 512MB
Case/Power Supply: APEVIA X-Dreamer ATXB3KLW-GN Green Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 420W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223F 22X DVDR

I have tried unplugging everything but the essentials, nothing.
I have check for shorts and there do not appear to be any.
Any ideas? Otherwise I am going to take it into somewhere and pay $70 for them to tell me what is wrong (this was supposed to be a $500 or less build...easily approaching $700 now)

Take your motherboard out and put it on a non conducting surface. Plug in the bare minimum components for turning the PC on (one stick of ram, on-board graphics instead of video card, no hard drives / cd-rom.) This will help to rule out other things.

Find someone to let you test your other components on to make sure they're OK.

Also try clearing the CMOS. Remove your battery from the mobo and keep it for about 10 minutes before putting it back in and powering up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back