Custom built desktops

KathyJ

Hi everyone and I hope you have a Happy New Year!!! I am considering breaking down and purchasing a new computer. This one is a HP custom built and it's about 6 years old with a lot of miles on it. I've not had any trouble with it besides the normal stuff so I had thought about going with the HP custom built again. I checked the prices with HP and then went to Tiger Direct and I couldn't believe the difference in prices comparing systems of equal features. I can get one from them for about half of what I would have to pay to Hp and all of the junk doesn't come on it. Now I am considering purchasing one from Tiger Direct but my question is, have you purchased a computer from them or know of someone that has? If so, what is your opinion of this company and their custom built computers? I have read their reviews but it was from their web site. I like to get the actual users opinions one on one but not from the sellers web page. Do they built reputable and reliable computers? Thanks for your time.

I bought one of T.D. PowerSpec $549 specials maybe 5-6 years ago. Once I realized it was only about $250 worth of parts, I told myself I would never buy a pre-built/box store computer ever again. I can't stress enough on how easy and how much $ you will save if you build one yourself. You can buy the parts and have someone build it for your for $70-100 bucks and it will be custom to your needs. $300 parts +$100 labor and a better finished product sounds a lot better than $549 if you ask me.

Thank you to both of you for your responses. Although I have been dealing with troubleshooting issues since the Dos days and I've added hardware to many computers, I have never started from scratch and built one for myself. To me, there are toooooooo many parts and I wouldn't have a clue as to where to start. I appreciate the offer to help me but I'm afraid I would make a nuisance of myself because I wouldn't know what I was doing. So, I guess for my sanity's sake and especially yours, I had better pass on that suggestion. Again, thanks for everything!

there are only 7 basic parts....Case, CPU, Motherboard, Power Supply, HDD, RAM and DVD drive. All you do is screw the PSU (Power Supply) into the case Insert CPU chip and RAM into board, screw on board to the risers on the case, throw in your HDD and DVD and connect a few SATA and Power cables and fans. Install Windows and you're set. We could easily help you just as others helped me on my first build (which was easy and painless, I promise). You will get the gratification of building your on computer and you will be able to do a future build with your eyes closed. Please consider this before you buy.
Computer build: Approx. 1 hour
Windows Install: 15min.

Well, to be honest........that thought did cross my mind. I'm the type of person that loves a challenge and likes to do stuff I've never done before and this would certainly apply. Do all of the parts come with instructions???? I like to have instructions in front of me when I'm trying something for the first time. Does it take a lot of space to do it on? The reason I ask this question is, I have an inside cat that LOVES to be in the middle of everything I'm doing. She is very "snoopy". I have a bar that I could use to work on it that she can't get to so that's why I'm asking the space question. As you can see, I know nothing about this part of computers. Thanks for your time and suggestions!!!

Thank you for the link. I will certainly watch it and check into it. Thanks everyone for your help!

I think people are pleasantly surprised by the ease of putting together modern computers.
It's actually pretty hard to mess up; most things only fit together the right way.

The hardest part is 3:20 into that first video Rabbit linked. I still occasionally get those backwards - but that's usually due to my lack of patience when connecting them.

When you open up a HP, Dell computer, etc. it might look a bit daunting at first because of all the cables everywhere but it's a lot better once you realise there's not actually that many parts. A few youtube videos will help you out, or just get a tech-savvy friend to come round and help you. Good luck!

Back