Custom Computer from Austin.net.au

By Michael88
Jun 5, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everybody,

Just wanted some opinions. Is this system I have selected (From the DIY section) going to do me any good? I wanted to build my own and have selected the following parts from Austin Computers (all prices Australian):

Intel Celeron 2.6 socket 478 ($121.33)
    Asus P4S800-MX motherboard ($64.28)
    Lemel 512MB DDR RAM - PC3200 (400mhz) ($57.55)
    Hitachi (IBM) 80GB PATA 2mb 7200rpm HDD ($76.48)
    Liteon CDRW + DVD [52x35x52] ($55.66)
    EZCase 400GTS [400w] ($35.75)

Hey, it's budget. All I want is to run iTunes, M$ Office, Sims 2 University and internet... that's about it really.

Is any of this going to work very well? Or am I wasting my time?
    Thanks muchly :cool:

-Michael
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

Save money on your office suite. Download openoffice from openoffice.org. It's free and about 98% compatible.

I'd ditch the intel and asus board.

I run with an Athlon 2500+ XP and an MSI K78N platinum 2 board - that's what I have and it runs fast and wasn't too expensive.

I've heard of too many problems with ASUS.
  3. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

I have too, but i have an Asus, never had a bit of trouble

Do you have a video card? Sims 2 is pretty demanding ,if you plan on using integrated graphics..good luck, i tried running sims 2 on a 5200 and i had to trun it wayy down. THe AMD board wouldnt be a bad option, its really is your choice.

Sean
  4. Michael88

Michael88 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply guys.

I already have Office, my Dad used it for two other computers in the house and I think I'll stick with it (for now) because I'm used to it. But I will look into OO.

AMD seems to be alot more expensive - but is it any better in performance? See I'm trying to make a system which is cheap-ish but still runs effectively. The Sims 2 is pretty full on, but that ASUS board said it had graphics already on it... I'm not too keen on buying a real expensive Graphics card at the moment! But I guess all I need is hardware which will do the job, which is available in Perth.

I know there is an on-going debate between AMD and Intel, but really, which is cheaper compared to it's competing brand? (ie Intel 2.4ghz compared to AMD 2ghz is cheaper [only an example])

Michael - confusing himself.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.