TechSpot

Custom NAS/HTPC build

By ragebflame
Jan 6, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys, Its been a long time since my last post but its time for a new build again.

Basically what im looking for is a homeserver which I can also use ase a backup server and media streamer.
    I have been looking at online reviews and guides but is hard to narrow down components to use.

I am living in Ireland so I will be buying the components from Irish and UK sites.

The system must have/needs to:

- Stream HD video 1080p
    - 5.1 audio output
    - Have low power consumption
    - Id like to leave it on 24/7 and have it act as a backup server to backup the other pcs in my house.
    - It will need to act as a webserver ( Id like remore access to my media )
    - Ideally im looking at i3 Intel mobo/processor
    - I will be leaving this pc in the media room underneath a TV, so controlling it with a remote would be a nice feature.
    - Id like it as compact as posssible (mini ITX mobo/case), but the case must be able to fit at least 2 3.5" drives along with a DVD drive.

I understand what im looking for is a mix of everything But any help you guys can give in the line of components would be great:).

I hope to collect these parts over time but my budget is around €500-€700.
    Please let me know if this is dooable:).

Thanks,
    Dan.

*EDIT:
    - I have Windows 7 already bought.
    - I have already purchased 2 x 2TB hard drives (for backing up my data)
  2. pjamme

pjamme TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 285

3. ragebflame

ragebflame Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 86

I have read that review, but I have looked at teardowns and theres no way id fit 2 3.5" drives in there. It would be ideal with a larger case and more powerful PSU.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.