TechSpot

Custom UT2004 bots are more human than real-life players

By Rick
Oct 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Programmers were tasked with the challenge of creating the most human-like UT2004 bots -- and it appears they delivered. In the competition sponsored by 2K games, the top two UT2004 bots tricked 52 percent of the judges into thinking they...

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,387   +425

Man, I love Unreal Tournament - I am definitely downloading this and checking out the bots. Thanks for the article!

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

I love this game, I WILL be downloading and trying this beast out :)

Anyone care to share what servers they regularly go on?

4. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 762   +252

Considering the attitudes and behavior of many FPS players, making a bot more human than some of them isn't that big of a feat ;)

5. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +99

What makes one "human"

In all seriousness, this is extremely interesting.

6. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Enthusiast Posts: 198   +28

This sounds great, I wonder if they inputted the "Camping feature" too. Human players do that too you know. They should also include the "Drunken" player for jokes.

7. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Wonder if the bots might be able to talk trash :p

8. Lol siri.

9. Huge UT2004 fan here..still play it very regularly...though I felt the best version was the original UT (99) in terms of playability, though 2004 did bring in a lot of improvements.

I'm glad they're making smarter bots-the current AI is pretty crappy. It's a shame that they had a terrible vision for the UT franchise, could've been so much better but UT3 was a total bomb.

10. penn919

penn919 TS Enthusiast Posts: 160   +12

Very interesting Article and even more interesting title.

11. Burty117

I wish they could re-release UT2004 with updated graphics, bigger maps and higher player cap, maybe some more vehicles and a suite of modding tools like they did UT2004.

That would be the best UT to date. Sadly, the developers don't care any more :(

12. DanUK

DanUK TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +8

That's some pretty impressive programming! Presumably this sort of thing could be ported to any game in this genre? I wonder if companies sell AI code like this?

13. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +116

Now to dig out the 5 CD Installation pack for UT2004 and I'll be playing in about an hour or so. Or it can be bought on steam for $15. Now to go get murdered by even smarter AI bots!

14. Sad fact that these "human-like" bots can only fool inexperienced players but when you put them against some pro players they will be busted in no time. I played vs them and I can tell that I rarely see human players which are as stupid as these "human-like" bots. In addition their skill level is poor, no fun.

15. Epic have just announced a new community made UT game!

16. Burty117

I had the same 5 CD pack, those were the days xD

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.