TechSpot

Customize taskbar shortcut icon in Windows 7

By HaLo2FrEeEk
Nov 16, 2009
  1. Ok, back in the days of Windows XP and Vista I used to put a shortcut to one of my harddrives on my Quick Launch bar. Well, 7 doesn't include the Quicklaunch bar...so that's a no go. Of course I can open that drive in Windows Explorer, then pin it to the taskbar...but as soon as I close the window it defaults back to the Libraries folder...not what I want. I figured out that I can Shift + Right-click and that'll let me adjust the properties. Problem is, I like to set the icon to something else, too...and even though I change the icon in the properties, it doesn't stay after I close the properties window, it defaults back to the windows explorer icon:

[​IMG]

And that's annoying, I like my icons. The icon only shows on the taskbar when I have the pinned program's properties open. It doesn't show when I open the shortcut, or when it's closed.

So I guess I have 2 questions: Is there any way to get that icon to stick and always display, and/or is there a Quick Launch replacement/alternative in Windows 7?

Thanks in advance.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. HaLo2FrEeEk

HaLo2FrEeEk TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 164

Those instructions didn't work. I can create the shortcut on the desktop no problem, change it's icon, but when I right-click it there's no option to pin it to the taskbar. And I usually just put E:\ in the shortcut target path, do I have to put that whole explorer.exe /e,::{CLSID} thing? I don't know the CLSID to put for my E: drive...how would I find that out?

4. kimsland

I thought the entire My Computer would be better myself ;)
    But oh well, obviously that guide must be wrong or something? Although others replied did say thanks :confused:

Anyway, I hope others here may provide a better process. As I'm not running Windows 7 myself

5. HaLo2FrEeEk

Well if you just know how to get the CLSID of my E: drive I'll be happy! That's all I need.

6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,222   +231

Try dragging the icon to the taskbar, then choose "pin to taskbar"...

7. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,417   +77

8. HaLo2FrEeEk

I dunno what I did, but it magically started working. The icon started displaying properly and the shortcut takes me to the right place. Thanks for all your help guys!

9. kimsland

You don't know what you did?
    Argh! That's irritating :D

10. HaLo2FrEeEk

Extremely so, because then if you have the problem again (which I will) you can't fix it without retracing all of the steps you took originally.

All I can note is that I (think I) restarted my computer, and I added the same shortcut to the Quick Launch folder (but didn't activate the Quick Launch bar). That's all I can think of.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.