TechSpot

D-link router can't send mail

By chrissssy
May 18, 2008
  1. Hi,
    I resentley changed a dead Linksys router and installed a new Dlink (D524 I believe?). All ports are open and haven't changed the setup. Client can browse the internet, get mail but outlook can no longer send mail...??? I connected with my home ISP and put in my own mail server and it will send and recieve perfectly. Their ISP says nothing has changed on their end it must be me. Any ideas?????
    regards
    Chrissssy :confused:

2. chrissssy

chrissssy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Test email also goes fine, "test account settings" button.Supportnet says I'm sending extra info in my packets???? Isp says no chance. Client up until this morning could still send email using a web program, now it to is being blocked! I haven't touched it between friday and today. Help!
    chrissssy

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

routers to not block, that's the job of a firewall.

if you can get into the router configuration page, investigate all PORT FORWARD
    entries.

Email sends on port 25 and reads on 110 or 143-- NONE of these should have port
    forwarding.

4. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 228

I would also want to be sure that the machine has not been infected by some form of malware. Have you run antivirus, antispyware, etc., software on the machine?

5. chrissssy

chrissssy TS Rookie Topic Starter

oops
    Sorry I didn't mean the router was blocking the email, I just meant it was being blocked from leaving. I ran Spybot search & destroy, and they run Trend, all virus definitions are up to date. I uninstalled Trend and disabled the firewall before testing any of this. I removed the DLink Router and installed a Netcomm. It works now for email but the internet ADSL2 is now very slow. The server is, Partially, 2003 SBS. This seems to be a hack of some kind as there are no stickers anywhere. The client says they paid for the server software but it doesn't appear they got what they paid for and they are trying to chase the old IT company for the software. I have to give them a chance to see if they can get it. My goal here is to keep them up for a few weeks to see if they can recover the software. So now my goal is to find out whats causing the slow down of the internet. This is a mess any suggestions of how to deal would be appreciated!
    Thanks for the help
    Chrissssy

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

investigate DNS settings and performance.

the most typical issue is that a request to DNS#1 fails by timing out and DNS# takes
    still more time.

here's the test
    1. nslookup www.google.com your-dns#1-address
    2. nslookup www.google.com your-dns#2-address
    BOTH should respond with very similar times and neither should time-out or be unreachable

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.