D-Link routing problems

DjKraid

Hi!

So I have this D-Link DSL-2740B ADSL Modem/Router and I would need it to work as a router now but I just can't make it happen...
I connect the line with the internet connection to port 1 and then my computer to port 2 and the laptop to the wireless ofc.. My computer says that it has a internet connection but when I for ex ping the router or laptop 100%loss and also when i try to connect to the router via firefox (using 192.168.1.1) then it times out...and then ofc when I try to get to any webpages it just times out...and all this time my computer says that it is connected to a network with internet access.

So what to do? -should I change some settings (that I just haven't found yet) or what?

P.S. when I "RTFM" (use the d-link hints and help) it just says something like "Here you can find various settings for routing." or something like that -_-

I connect the line with the internet connection to port 1 and then my computer to port 2 and the laptop to the wireless ofc..

The phone line should go into the port marked "DSL". Everything else (computers, printer, etc.) will be connected to port 1-4 or via wireless.

Yes but there is no phone line here, there are only two RJ45 (ethernet) lines and only one of them has a signal (2/1Mbps) so it should share that network.

Sounds like it could possibly be that the first router (connected to hosts) doesn't contain a default route for routing unknown packets (google etc). If its more simple than that check IP Address settings, make sure the first router (connected to hosts) is only relaying information and not trying to be intelligent. For instance contains ISP settings or configured as a DHCP server. Failing that firewall settings ?

Code:
D-Link DSL-2740B ADSL Modem/Router and I would need it to work as a router
This device is a router, but ONLY when the wan side is connected via RJ11 to a phoneline.

Pg 6 shows the connections and the far left is the RJ11.

You can get the device to act as a SWITCH by leaving the RJ11 empty and connecting systems to the RJ45 slots. In this mode, the WiFi will still be active, but not provide routing.

Now I have tried to connect in all the different ways there are but with almost no luck...
If I first connect the computers (port 2 & 3) to the router and then the router to the interwebs (port 1) then the computers say that there is no internet connection. But then if I restart the router when everything is connected one of the computers has a "internet connection" (or so it says) for a little while and then again no "internet access"...
So I tried to first connect the line with the interwebs to port one and then after a while I connect both computers and that almost works or something like that. One of the computers get an internet connection and the other one just fails...anyhow the on with the internet connection can't access any webpages and neither one of the computers can access the router (via its IP) but the computer with the "internet access" can use spotify and steam (but not steam store / community)...so wtf :/
What next, should I just wait till I can afford to get a new switch or is there maybe a firmware update for the router that could fix the problem..? -my google skills aren't enough for this o.0

Can't even find where to disable it :/
just looked trough all the settings but couldn't find anything useful, I also tried to manually set the subnet mask, destination and gateway IP addresses (checked them from my computer when it is connected so it should be the same right?) but it always just says that destination IP is invalid and it didn't rly matter what I put as destination IP, it's just invalid all the time...any ideas?

Ah, at last I found it, I only had to update the firmware to get to the "disable dhcp" settings...anyhow, it's working! Thanks Guys! :grinthumb

Back