TechSpot

Daemon Tools Problem.

By Drenholm
Oct 3, 2005
  1. While installing Daemon tools (347) my PC crashed and ever since there's been a virtual CD drive but no Daemon software to use it. I try to install Daemon tools again but it tells me "Some driver has invalid name or conflicts with other file or service in system."

I tried uninstalling the extra drive from the device manager which has no effect, and after restarting the drive is back.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

In Device Manager, click on View/Show hidden devices
    There are probably other 'copies' out for that Daemon, that also need to be removed.

3. Drenholm

Drenholm TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 34

Nope, there's nothing new. The extra drive is called "Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device" if that's of any further help

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, remove all references to it from registry. Boot into Safe Mode and remove the driver file.

5. uncool

uncool TS Rookie

umm, is there any more in depth instructions?

Thanks Nodsu

NEWEST EDIT: Novice workaround in case if you are unable to reinstall D-Tools. Rename the field for the "port" and "bus".

EDIT: attempted steps below. Did not delete any registry entry since only 1 entry came up when searching for Daemon and then adding -tools.

6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Go to Windows Device Manager.

Find the D-Tools DVD-ROM drive - it is called Generic DVD-ROM SCSI
    Uninstall the device.
    Find the D-Tools SCSI controller - it is called "D347PRT SCSI Controller" or something similar. It can have a completely different name too - you were prompted for one when you installed D-Tools.
    Open the propeties, Driver tab, click Driver Details.
    Note the driver file name.
    Uninstall the SCSI controller.
    Open the system registry.
    Find and delete any entries regarding Daemon Tools (search for Daemon and -Tools, use your common sense). When in doubt, don't delete.
    Find and delete any entries regsding the SCSI controller (search for a part of the driver file name and the device name you had in Device Manager). Again, common sense and think twice before deleting.

Reboot Windows into safe mode (tap F8 at startup).
    Delete the driver file you wrote down before.
    Restart the computer.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.