Daily BSODs during video (gaming)

Spent the past two or so hours looking for certain fixes or self-help threads trying to find out what's wrong, but strangely enough everything seems to be in order..

I've been playing games from the very undemanding to the very demanding, ie League of Legends and Starcraft 2. Either way, my comp will just freeze up for a second, and then BSOD. After I'm done killing a small child in anger and letting my computer sit unplugged for a minute, I can reboot with no problems. Only a few times has it BSOD'ed and rebooted on it's own with out me hard killing it.

Here are my minidumps, and a speedfan pic. Temp3 has always shown as 80c with the flame next to it, and nothing I do in speedfan changes the speed of my fans, ever.

Note: I can't submit my dumps because they're too big, forums won't upload .rars, and I can't post links....so..?

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• Speedfan.jpg
    Speedfan.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Minidumps.zip
    40.5 KB · Views: 1
7E - 1000007E - the probable cause listed as atikmdag.sys, your video driver
This can probably be corrected by updating your video drivers.
If your video is "on-board" use the drivers from the maker of your system board.
Otherwise, use drivers from the maker of your video card.

1E - parameter 1 - EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005
A System driver attempted to improperly address system memory.

There is additonal information and there are things we can try
if updating your drivers is not sufficient to resolve the problem.

I do notice that you have a heat issue. (as you observed). This should be resolved too.
You might choose to open the case and look for dust on components.
One or more of your fans may not be properly functioning; observe for possible problems.

Let us know the results in your next post.
HTH

Before I posted here I did just that; updated my sound / video drivers, and checked my case for excess dust buildup on the fans on in the fan casing. I'll go get some canister air tomorrow and give it a really good clean.

Problem still persists, although it's not BSOD'ing anymore, just blacking out and restarting. Is there a way to tell what Temp3 is? (as in where in my comp that is?) Also, it shows Fan1 at 10RPM, and the other Fan1 at 1500(+ -), however, I have 5 fans running in my case including my processor fan, so why aren't those shown?

I have not been blown away by speedfan (pun intended). Not "user friendly" imho.
I like Everest a lot better. The information is more thorough and is easier to interpret.

I don't even see your HD temps, which speedfan does show for me on my system.
My understanding is that your Temp1, Temp2, etc will vary in significance, depending on the maker of the mainboard.

My guess is that Temp3 is your CPU.
IF this guess is correct, then...
You may have a failing cpu fan
or your thermal paste may need to be removed and reapplied.

This kind of temp reading on your cpu very well could be the cause of your freeze/bsod/restart symptoms.

Gotcha. I'll order some more silver off of NewEgg and possible a new fan for my processor as well. Hopefully that's the cause of my computer lameness.

Thanks for your time dude, I'll let you know if that solves it in a few weeks.

Same old lameness, not getting BSOD though, just crashing and things like the pictures showed. Just had two BSOD's in a row though, mind looking at the logs?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 090510-21309-01.zip
    20.6 KB · Views: 1
Hello RadQuinn.
I will ask a friend to take a look over my shoulder here, to see if I am overlooking something, or if I am making this too complicated.

Here is where I am right now. (You could get started here, and if my friend has a suggestion, he will weigh in too.)

Only one dump in the zip?

Bugcheck 50.
The BCCode 50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed
hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).
Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.
Antivirus software can also trigger this error,
as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

Suggested Plan of Attack:
(though you could move #8 down to the bottom of the list if you wish).

1. Examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues.
Your Dump does not offer as much information as might be hoped. ("Could not read faulting driver name")
To check "Event Viewer", launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box;
or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer.

2. If you’ve recently added new hardware, remove it and retest.

3a. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the manufacturer.
Specifically test your hard-drive for integrity, and check memory.

Your Screen Shots are suggestive of possible issues with Video Card Temps, Video Memory or with Video Drivers.
Everest MIGHT help diagnose temperature problems. (Wondering now what Everest shows, since you reapplied thermal paste and new fan!)
Furmark has a video stress test that works on OS pre-Win7. You might google to see if you can find something similar for Win7.
You could also check this tool for suitability... https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4665-overclock-checking-tool.html I have not used it, just seen it recommended by esteemed helpers here.

Re: Possible memory issues, here are some hints to help troubleshoot...
1. Some motherboards are even more picky than others about the ram you use. You should always check the hardware compatibility list.
2. Bios timing and voltage settings can be critical. Make sure these are set properly.
3. If both of the above are okay, then Memtest can help isolate issues. Memtest runs in its own environment and provides very reliable results.
Please follow this guide... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html
You may download iso directly from the maker here ... http://www.memtest.org/

Please note that (unless you start getting errors reported) you will need to let this run a long time.
A good way of doing this is to let it run over night. In each 'pass" there are a series of eight memory tests that are run, each more complicated than the previous. You need to let it run a minimum of 7 passes, unless you start getting errors. If you have errors reported, you may want to re-run the test with only one stick of ram installed, checked each stick until you isolate those that are faulty. That way you can limit your replacement to those that actually need it.

Hard-Disk Check:
a. Resolving a corrupted NTFS volume problem: Run Chkdsk /f /r
b. Use Hard-drive diagnostics utility made by the maker of your hard drive. This will be the more thorough check of drive health.
c. A quick check of drive health can be done with CrystalDiskInfo.

3b. Run System File Checker:

How to Repair Windows 7 System Files with System File Checker
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

4. Make sure device drivers and system BIOS are up-to-date.
DO NOT FLASH YOUR BIOS WITHOUT A BACKUP PLAN!

5. However, if you’ve installed new drivers just before the problem appeared, try rolling them back to the older ones.

6. Open the box and make sure all hardware is correctly installed, well seated, and solidly connected.

7. Confirm that all of your hardware is on the Hardware Compatibility List. If some of it isn’t, then pay particular attention to the non-HCL hardware in your troubleshooting.

8. Check for viruses.

9. Investigate recently added software.

10. Examine (and try disabling) BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

--- Added Note ---
My friend concurs with the approach outlined above.

Back