Daily BSODs on new computer/new Windows 7 install

RevCo

Hi,
I've put together a computer and it was OK for a week, but now I'm getting constant BSODs and I've got no idea where the problem is or what to do about it.

At first I had a hell of a time with the computer locking up - mouse still moving but nothing was selectable. Sometimes went away after a few minutes, sometimes needed hard reset. I looked in Event Viewer and saw a load of "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period." - looking around I found many people saying this could be sorted out by turning the drive to hot-swappable. So I did that - and to be fair, it has stopped locking up.

However since then - perhaps due to the locking up and hard resets, I don't know - I'm now getting proper BSODs. The Seagate HDD has disappeared a few times too (I figured it was dying, have ordered a new drive but the stupid thing has come back now - run Seagate tools check and said it was fine).
I'm sort of out of my depth when it comes to these - I've tried everything I can think of:
Run a complete disk check
Checked memory - both via the windows version and Memtest86+ - no errors found.
Did every windows update, got the latest drivers for everything in the computer I could find.
Did full virus scan
Checked all hardware seated OK
Run the Windows startup repair - it said there was nothing to repair.

I also downloaded Microsoft Windbg and had a pop at that - don't really know what I am doing - after 1 BSOD [the BSOD I 'normally' get] it said:
BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa8009b40060, fffffa8009b40340, fffff80002ddef40}

Probably caused by : wininit.exe

and after another
BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa8009801b30, fffffa8009801e10, fffff80002ddaf40}

Probably caused by : csrss.exe

I don't know if that helps/means anything - I have about 50 tabs open in firefox and am reading away - usually interrupted by a BSOD :-|

Would be so grateful if someone could take a look at the minidumps (attached all 4 there is - from yesterday & today) and make any suggestions at all!

I apologise in advance if I have missed something obvious or not gone about asking for help in the right way - I'm just typing quickly before this thing crashed again!
Many thanks for any help.
Calv

M/b: Asus P8P67 LE
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 (in AHCI mode)
Memory: Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD5570
Processor: Intel i5 2500k
2nd drive: Seagate 250GB SATA HDD

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
[Everything apart from the Seagate HDD is brand new]

Attachments

• 071011-9687-01.zip
    21.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 071011-9594-01.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 070911-12745-01.zip
    22.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 070911-9906-01.zip
    22.9 KB · Views: 1
Hello Rev,

You have an Asus motherboard, can you confirm that your board's BIOS is has set the RAM timings and voltage correctly, as prescribed in the RAM's spec sheet?

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I've not changed any settings at all - not overclocked processor, memory or anything. I see in the bios the default (which I left it at) is 'Auto' for the memory, another option is 'XMP' which I thought about selecting, but then decided not to touch anything.
The memory was listed in the Qualified Vendor List for this motherboard so hopefully that means something!

I've had 2 more BSOD today (and horribly 1 case of the C drive missing on reboot, but it came back!) whilst trying to figure it all out - both times the Windbg tool says
Probably caused by : wininit.exe
- no idea if the minidumps say anything like the same (I don't really know how to read them :-|
So now I'm looking if I can figure out a way of getting wininit.exe of the install disc and overwriting...good idea? bad idea?

I just found a prog. - BlueScreenView which reads the minidumps, and according to that each of the minidumps were caused by ntoskrnl.exe
Although it does say it isn't always 100% accurate when it gives you a 'caused by'...
So I'll go search for what that might be :-|

Can you confirm that :

1- Your CPU/System temperatures are normal when idle, and within limits when under full load/stress.
2- Your system is malware/spyware free (please run malwarebytes and post its log for analysis in Malware and Virus Removal Forum).

OK...
IDLE:
CPU: 25C
M/B: 30C

Load (Prime95 torture test @30mins)
CPU: 67C
M/B: 32C

2. I've run AVG and malwarebytes and nothing found. There's really nothing in the malwarebytes report - just sums up with:
Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

To check whether a 3rd party driver may be causing this issue, I need you to follow these steps:

Important: Before proceeding any further, please ensure that you can boot your system in safe mode.

1) Windows Key + R (or go to Start, then click on Run..)
2) Type 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". When this occurs please post your new minidump.

Please note that Driver Verifier will continue to run on every boot up until you run (by going to Start, then to Run):

verifier /reset

You were right - a crash on reboot every time!

That's with every driver selected in verifier.
When it crashes, it's always the same code on the BSOD, and I had a look on BlueScreenView and again it says 'ntoskrnl.exe' caused it - this time with the bug check string "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION" like you suggested...

I've also tried the non-microsoft drivers only in verifier, and it doesn't crash on boot...

Attached 2 dmp files in the zip - both from the crash-on-boot I had with verifier running...

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    41.2 KB · Views: 5
@Rev
Your crashes were caused by avgtdia.sys, I suspect it to be an malicious file, i.e. spyware/malware.

Please have a look at these instructions and post your logs for analysis in Malware and Virus Removal Forums. Broni or Bobbye are probably the best in this regard IMO.

Not sure if I'm happy or not it may be malware!

Thanks so much for your help Archean, I'll post in the virus removal forums and see what happens!
Thanks again, really appreciate it

Back