Daily Win 7 BSODs after welcome screen -- stop errors 0x101,0x9c,0x124

Ghost81

system has been running fine for past 4 months but since around may 30 i started losing wifi then getting bsod 0x101 while playing rift, then it progressed to bsod 0x101 just at desktop as well as no wifi, now i am getting bsods upon every boot, it loads to welcome screen and then goes black with a cursor then bsod 0x101 most every time, 3 times a 0x9c and once 0x124 ,windows is inaccesible now and in safe mode i have recieved the 0x101 many times as well as the 0x9c. i am sure its not an over heating issue as core temps were under 59Cwhile gaming and around 42C idle and testing each stick of ram by iteslf still results in bsod 0x101 regardless of dimm placement, set speed(1066-1600) or quantity(4-16GB).
i have also updated bios, and switched out video cards, as well as updated drivers and removed wifi card but nothing.
im thinking that its a bad cpu but i cannot read dmp files so i cannot be sure, i hope i have provided enough info to give a good idea of my issue.
i have 18 dmp files dating from may 30th til now but im not sure which ones would be best to upload yet. hoping someone can take a look at these dmp files and let me know what has gone bad.

my specs are
i7 920 no oc except whatever XMP may do to achieve 1600mhz
corsair a/h 50 not sure, its the one with 2 120mm fans (push pull)
gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r
16GB 4x4GB corsair vengeance in tri channel 1600mhz via xmp
Evga geforce GTX 550 TI 1GB
Dlink pci express wireless n adaptor
Corsair GS600 psu
thermaltake armor a60

thanks in advance for any help.

Well, those bug check codes point more towards hardware but it could be a driver or memory. To get a better picture I would need to analyse the dump files. Please put all the dump files into one zip folder. If more than 200Kb then you will have to split them into two.

Ok mark, I put them into 3 seperate zip files as I wasnt sure how well they would compress, the dmp3 zip contains the oldest dmps and I would imagine the original bsod info but I am only taking a guess, another bit of info I should have shared before the cpu has been carried over from an old dell pc that was bought about 2 years ago, it has been working fine since I built this rig using the left over cpu 4months ago my guess is the oem cpu didnt like the memory clock at 1600mhz and I may have damaged the memory controller on the cpu but again just a guess. thanks again for taking the time to help

Attachments

• DMP1.zip
    153.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DMP2.zip
    139.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DMP3.zip
    102 KB · Views: 2
I am a bit lost with this one. Everything you are using in the system looks ok apart from the motherboard not supporting 1600MHz RAM. All the bsod's point to hardware.

Only one driver of interest is named in the 9c crashes, the intelppm.sys. This is something to do with power management for intel CPU's and is a basic Windows driver. It might be worth disabling it to see if that makes any difference.

I would make a carefull check on all the chipset drivers and, as I am sure you will have installed these from the disc you would have got with the mobo, it might be worth reinstalling them by downloading fresh drivers from Gigabyte.

i have installed the chipset drivers from disc as well as from the gigabyte website, both to no avail earlier this week. i have been running the ram at stock speeds of 1066since i found out that its not offically supported but it hasnt helped any, earlier today the system wouldnt even boot just a black screen at first i thought my gpu but a switched it out with another i know that works and same thing black screen and eventually a bsod 0x101 or if i just click the mouse at all it bsods 0x101, i attempted first to repair the installation but it failed so next i decided to reformat and reinstall seeing as i couldnt access anything but a blank screen but it failed im not sure if it bsod or what as it happened as i went to the restroom just my luck but it said "the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error windows installation could not proceed, i am going to try a reinstall once more and change the memory out with some old ddr3 1066 i have laying around and i will see if it bsods or just reboots but the unsupported memory has run fine since day one for around 4 months now until about may 31 and everything went crazy, im just taking a shot in the dark but if it is crashing after a reformat it wouldnt be a driver issue but hardware, am i correct in this assumption?, i will reply as soon as i know more. thanks again for your help this issue is mind boggling to me!

Yup, crashing after a clean install is unlikely to be a driver and all the previous BSOD's are pointing at hardware. Shame it doesn't tell you which bit. Might be worth getting the manufacturers diagnostics for the hard drive.

so far the reinstall with the old memory is making it pretty far but we will see, and how can i run hd diagnostics without being able to boot all i ahve is a net book at the moment as i finsih typing this the install on final step completeing installation but then again i am not sure how far it got last time before it failed ill let you know how this turns out as soon as it crashes or completes, but if the ram is the culprit why would it have worked for so long before having issues?
also it crashed during the install last time but after i had formatted the drive. it never actually installed last time.
this time with the old ram it has sucessfully reinstalled but it has acted like it was ok a few times just to crash on me later so im not going to celebrate just yet.

ok well its been hanging for 15-20 mins or so now its at the preparing your desktop screen this is the fresh install but i havent seen the desktop yet and this install is with the old ram and a different video card, but no bsod so whats your personal opinion on this lol cause i thought cpu first but now i suspect it could be cpu mobo or ram since its hanging but not bsod so if i buy a new mobo and cpu like the i7 2600k and the ASRock z68 extreme which supports 1600mhz (i made sure this time and seen a few in forums there using same ram as mine) will i be rid of this damned error? its been way to long to not have a powerful rig this netbook is for kids lol

update: i rebooted and got to the desktop its hanging on everything like click start button then right click a few times then everything happens all at once 5 mins later but i havent seen bsod so what do you think and im sorry if i ask alot of questions at once im trying to learn

I switched back to the original ram the unsupported 1600mhz set but its at stock speed and it too is experiencing hanging on processes for long time periods then just reboots if it doesnt snap out of it still no bsods so no differences in behavior between the 2 sets of ram 4x1GB 1066 and 4X4GB of 1600 operating at 1066

I am going to power down and put the original video card in and see if it still only hangs but not bsod if so I would think it is the cpu almost for sure like 92% the fact the blue screens have stopped so far has me very puzzled maybe they were being caused by a combo of certain drivers and the failing cpu? just my theory, I hope I am not breaking any forum rules or etiquette just trying to provide as much information as possible

Update: after a reboot the 1600 was working without hanging at all then I got the good old bsod 0x101 right as I went to shutdown
changed to old ram, first run was slow and full of hangups rebooting with the old ram is similar so far it is working with out hang ups now to see if I can get it to bsod also

update 2: ok it took a bit but I got a bsod with the other ram as well so with different ram a fresh install and a different video card I still get the same bsod, ill attach the 2 mini dumps hope they provide something useful

Attachments

• Dmp 4.zip
    39 KB · Views: 1
This one was sent to test us.

Both the dumps produce a bug check of 101 as have many before. This is how the error is described.

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
An expected clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor in an
MP system within the allocated interval. This indicates that the specified
processor is hung and not processing interrupts.

The dumps both state Analysis Inconclusive.

I think at this point I would run Prime95 to check the stability of the CPU.

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

Prime95 Setup:
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight please run the "Small FFTs" test instead. (run all 3 if you find a problem and note how long it takes to error out with each)
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
This won't necessarily crash the system - but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.

Further instructions from here. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/100352-cpu-stress-test-prime95.html

I think this is going to be a timing issue relating to the clock speed, but it's in an area just outside my knowledge. You need to check that the CPU is neither over or underclocked and the voltage is set correctly.

i will try prime 95 as soon as i get home and ill post any findings or useful information thanks again

OK, I'll waite to hear.

One last thing I thought of is to also check you have the correct voltage set for the RAM which will be available on the manufacturer's site.

ok i just got home im downloading prime 95 now and ill run tests as per your instructions also the ram is 1.5v and that is the default setting but i have it set manually at 1.5 just to be sure i will post my results asap.

should i use the 32 bit or the 64 bit prime 95 i have a 64bit cpu and OS so im guessing the 64bit but i dont know anything about this stuff

Ok I ran prime 95 for quite a while about 7 hours I believe and I noticed it only bsod 0x101 one time (I watched it the entire time while playing xbox to keep busy)
and that was when I tried to start the wireless network adaptor it found the network and then instantly said it couldnt connect, within 3 secs it bsod 0x101 but windows reset its dmp setting and all it produced was a memory dump around 379 MB I tried about 25 times more to get it to bsod again by messing with the wifi trying to get it to connect but all it did was hang for about 20 minutes until I had to reboot it but there was no dump from the system hang.
im attaching the results from prime 95 with the wifi adaptor there are 2 seperate sets the ones labeled with a 2 are from after the bsod if it matters.

I have removed the network adaptor and am running prime95 again in the small fft test or whatever its called, the max fpu stress one.

I have been trying to get the system to bsod again while running p95 but without the net adaptor but so far it hasnt.
im kinda just guessing at this point but is it possible that the wireless n card caused this? D-link dwa-556 xtreme n pci-e wireless adaptor the drivers are auto installed by windows. I dont have the disc and I havent tried to use it with new drivers from manufacturer,
I will try to run an ethernet cable to the pc and install some games, and possibly update anything that it asks to and see if it bsods then I will put the wifi card back in and see if I can replicate the results with the card in and without just like the ram and gpu so that it too can be ruled out or identified as the the culprit.
I wish that the pc would have stay configured for mini dmp when it crashed as it may have been helpful!
but oh well cant win them all ill post back any new results in a few hours or as soon as I get a crash and a few mini dmps thanks again for all the help mark I really appreciate it

Attachments

• prime 95 results.zip
    2 KB · Views: 1
i came across this
0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage
0X00000109 << Not enough or too Much memory voltage
i also read that some mobos try to auto set the voltage but get it incorrect
i have had lots of 101s and 1 124 so i was wondering first if there is any truth to this and secondly just to say i tried everything if you would be able tell me or if someone you know of could tell me what the proper voltage setup should be for the 17 920 on the gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r rev.1.0

With the errors you have had it is quite a strong possibility that the wireless card has been the cause, all of the error codes that you have listed above can relate to hardware.

Not sure where you got that list from but those certainly are not the only possible causes for those error codes, they are just "possible" causes amongst many.

Check the codes on this site and you will see what I mean: http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html

I honestly don't know what to look for in the Prime95 logs but it would appear from your observations that it passed with flying colours and the BSOD was caused by the wireless card.

It is the Bios that controls the voltage settings AFAIK, not the motherboard and they can on some versions be set to automatic so I expect it can get it wrong. You will find the correct voltages on the CPU's manufacturer's site, as is the case for the memory.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that it was the wireless card, it is not common, but I have seen it cause BSOD's before.

i ran prime 95 from 5 pm to 4am with no issues other than the display wouldnt wake up when i checked it at 4 am it woke up every other time, no problem other than that, i will check into the voltage info at intels website i looked before but only found basic specs no voltage standards or safe zones of voltage, i know that they are adjusted on the fly via speedstepping and turbo boost, but there has to be a set area for operation. ill just have to look harder i suppose,
i am going to put the wifi card back in and run prime 95 again tomorrow ill try to get it to connect or bsod and post any new findings

i would imagine if i cannot get the wifi to connect but i can verify the access point is functional that it is a bad wifi card, and if it bsod when i use wifi card again either way i should know if the card is my problem
ill keep you updated, but i might have to work a double shift today :dead: so i might not have the time to do any testing until thursday afternoon

yes work is really good for that! i worked a double last night and again today, so i will have to postpone any testing until tomorrow i need sleep lol, ill post any news asap tomorrow thanks again for helping out mark

ok well first off sorry for the prolonged absence work has been insane but good news is i havent seen any bluescreen errors or hang ups since i removed the wireless card so i would say this one is solved! thanks again mark

Back