Daisy, another music streaming service set to launch next year

Jos

Yet another music streaming service is set to debut next year for a piece of this booming market. According to a New Yorker article, entrepreneur and Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor has partnered up with Beats by Dre to launch the new venture (codenamed Daisy) in early 2013, taking on Spotify and similar services with what’s supposedly a superior music discovery experience based on algorithms and expert curators.

Of course, music curation is nothing new in the world of streaming services. With the launch of Spotify’s app platform quite a few alternatives have popped up, such as Digster and Tunigo, or some other apps by artists themselves. Likewise, music streaming services like Songza offer human-built playlists based on things like time of day and mood, genre, activity, or activity.

Daisy promises a mixed approach. Details are scarce at this point -- the New Yorker article itself isn't yet available online, but Pitchfork has a few quotes from Reznor, who explains that the service “uses mathematics to offer suggestions to the listener... [but also] would present choices based partly on suggestions made by connoisseurs, making it a platform in which the machine and the human would collide more intimately.”

He noted that Spotify boasts a huge song catalog but it’s not making it easy to stumble into anything new you might like, and argued that the model where “songs are chosen by algorithms that know who you listened to has begun to feel synthetic.”

Beats by Dre recently acquired streaming music service MOG. It’s unclear if the two services will run alongside or will be merged into something new.

Permalink to story.

How can techies be so stupid??! wireless companies are more and more restricting data usage and yet they want to start a "streaming" (translate: more data usage) service??!

How can techies be so stupid??! wireless companies are more and more restricting data usage and yet they want to start a "streaming" (translate: more data usage) service??!
So long as you pay attention you're fine. I use a bunch of streaming apps and I rarely ever hit 2Gs of data. Most services allow you to download the content to your phone for offline purposes. I mean hell, as long as you're on a wifi network you can download as much as you like with Spotify.

Back