DAO 3.5 -- Windows XP SP3

dumna

Hi
when I opened add and remove in control panel, I saw a file DAO 3.5, I do not know if I once installed some file and uninstalled it later and this is just what was left, or what.?
Now, I remember that last week I tried to install an 3.5 external hdd enclosure for old ied hdd but computer would not detect or recognize it..I am just wondering, is there any connection between the enclosure and the file DAO 3.5? should I uninstall file or try to install another enclosure (box). ?

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/dao-3-5-a-t2046882.html

DAO is to do with various database access methods. I cannot see any connection whatever between an external enclosure failure. Unless you are using Visual Basic, or Access, or some software that needs DAO, it is safe to delete.

External enclosures usually require USB access, you refer to an ied HDD (I assume you mean IDE ?). When the HDD is placed into the enclosure it must mate up with a connector. For IDE that would be a 40-pin connector. Older ones may not be keyed and can be put in upside down, when obviously they dont work. There were also two standards of ribbon connector, plus a pin to determine if the drive was master or slave. You quite likely have either a mis-plug or the wrong kind of enclosure to match the HDD http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/i/ide.htm

DAO 3.5 windows XP

Thank you. I'll go ahead and delete the file. regarding the hdd enclusure , it is Sabrent brand and it is IDE /sata enclosure. It is very simple to connect, like you said, 40 pin connector with one short tape that you can not go wrong connecting it.
I returned it and I was told it might be defective.? I might go and buy an other one just for IDE hdd only ,.

Can you just plug the HDD into a PC to test it using a standard test suite like SeaTools ? Bit of a waste of time if it is faulty !.

You are very sensible to feel the need for an external backup. Look into Drive Image as well, as such a backup can be a life-saver if your main HDD goes west. It is possible to argue that using an old IDE in an enclosure is a false economy. Practically all extenal HDD these days are SATA, which are faster. They are also cheap at very large sizes.

DAO 3.5 windows XP

Thank you. the reason I wanted the IDE enclosure is I had an ole gateway pc that just died and I saved its Hdd to try to copy data or use as a storage, if any left
I think I better buy kind of dual box for IDE/Sata so I can use for the old hdd and can use it should I buy a new Sata hdd. I just was not thinking.. I will look into the Drive Image and , sea tools just to learn a little more about them.

Back