Dark mode and back iOS issues

PurpleYoda

When I come back to the site after a few hours from last visit, it opens in “light mode” even though my selection was “dark mode”. Clicking on my profile icon to open a pop up menu with the selector takes me strangely to a page that says I am already logged in (sic!) but the page is now in dark mode so I don’t even have to switch the selector in the pop up, it is in the dark mode, too. So I have to click back on the logo to go to the homepage and voila- the page is dark!

I suspect it’s to do with caching, as should I not click n the profile icon and go to any new post, it opens up in datk mode but going back to homepage and it continues to be white. But nothing like that ever happens on other sites I visit that offer dark mode, for example, I can be gone for days without visiting it, but when I do visit 9to5mac website it opens in dark mode each tome just fine.
Second issue is not only annoying but wasting my time. When I visit any post from the homepage then click back, each time it takes me to the top of the page instead where I was so I have to constantly scroll down to where I was so I can go read the next post… this drives me nuts! ;-)

Thanks for reporting this. A few questions. Are you having this issue on a single device or when you move from one to another? And is it a desktop, tablet or phone?

As for a potential solution. There is a workaround because TechSpot has a main backend that connects to the forum which is on a different platform. But without delving into unnecessary specifics, try this:

Go to the TechSpot homepage. You should be logged in. Then from the user drop down select dark mode or switch between the two 2-3 times and leave it where you want it to be, dark or light.

That should reset your cookie setting for both the main site and forums and should be a permanent setting for both in future sessions.

Please let us know if that works.

Thx! I will try that now ;-)

FYI, sorry for omitting vital details! I’m accessing your site on an iPhone, always one and the same on Safari where I never clear my cache nor cookies yet each day on my visit the setting is reset to “default”. Let’s see if your solution works!

Back