Dark screen but Windows still running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
Over the past week, the screen on my HP Pavilion ZE4323 has started to go very dark shortly after start up. Windows XP is still running as normal - I can make it out if I shine a torch on the screen.

I've solved the problem to a certain extent by using the 3 restore discs to restore the factory settings. The result is that the screen shows the installation process and then runs through the introductory video ok. If I leave it with the desk top showing, there's no problem. No darkening of the screen at all.

However, if I go to the next step and try and install SP2, the screen darkens about 5 minutes into the installation process. A similar thing happens if I try to read something off an external hard drive.

At first I thought it could be overheating. So, I completely dissembled the laptop, took the fan and heat sink off, used an air can and generally cleaned it up. This doesn't seem to have made differnce though.

I then thought it might be the backlight or the cable connector. Don't think so, because as I said above, it's fine when use the restore disks. In fact, provide I don't do anything other than move the pointer around the desktop, all appears to be well.

Any ideas, please? Corrupt Windows or registry, or perhaps a virus?

Regards

More along the lines of.... i was gunna say graphics card, but you say it works whilst installing.... hrmm... try update your graphics card driver anyway. If all else fails take it to your local geek squad (best buy) and have em take a look at er.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back