TechSpot

DARPA asks gamers to test submarine-tracking simulator

By Emil
Apr 6, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the branch of the US Department of Defense responsible for the development of new military technology, wants gamers to test its submarine-tracking simulator. If you think you can best an enemy submarine commander so he can't escape into the ocean depths, you're invited to put yourself into the virtual driver's seat of one of several Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Continuous Tr...

Read the whole story

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 332   +23

Sounds like fun! Or it could get boring... gah can't make up my mind, I'll just have to try it.

3. mrtraver

mrtraver TS Enthusiast Posts: 240   +11

this is so awesome that they are doing this, whether or not it is fun for gamers!

4. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Gotta give this a shot...

5. The DARPA chief died on shadow moses island.

6. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Now this is my kind of beta testing. I wonder if they need help with any of their other military projects.

7. Cheap solution if you dont want to pay analyst or engineers etc.

8. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 959   +49

That and analysts can only dream up of so many solutions. The more people you have attempting to provide a successful solution for a particular pattern, the better the algorithm hopefully will be. And what better way than to provide competitive people a chance to vie for a leader board position.

9. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

Kinda gets you thinking about Toys with Robin Williams

10. when is Metal Gear Rex going to be released DARPA? I'll gladly test play it for you :D

11. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

Downloaded this simulator, played around with it a little. Got lost all the time, tricky controlling, no guns blazing... no depth controls for the submarine. Or was there?

As a game, nah... I rather play Bulletstorm. But as a simulator, it's probably the best simulator I've seen.

12. DARPA needs a mirror, I'm downloading at 20KB/s

13. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

:haha: That's the first thing i thought when i saw this thread.

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,838   +926

The zip for this is only 323MB. I'm thinking that the scenery data files are a fairly redundant call.

Is it as good as the M$ Flight simulators?
    It came down "full blast" for me @ a thundering 124KBs. Although it does seem a bit facetious calling anything about my 1 meg DSL connection, "full blast".

15. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

Haha, no even those are more exiting :) - sure says a lot come to think of it. The developers sure *tried* putting some excitement into the game.

Enemy Submarine! Class Alpha Foxtrot BBQ! Origin: Unknown! (=Russia). Geez.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.