TechSpot

Data drive question

By Modena
Sep 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Crucial 128GB SSD as my OS/Program drive, and a 750GB WD Black drive which contains all my music/movies/photos etc. My issue is that it goes offline or into like a stand-by mode after a certain period of time. So lets say I go to open itunes, it will take 8-10 seconds for it to access the drive and load up the program with my music. It's definitely going into some stand-by type mode, because I can hear when it goes into it, and when it comes out of it when I open a program or file that happens to be on the HDD. So I wanted to know if there is a way to disable that so my access is instant. Any info appreciated, thank you.

2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +58

Could it be the "Turn off hard disk after" setting in the Power Options?

Untitled.png

3. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Aye, it will be what Rabbit01 said, I used to have the same problem as well. Since changing the option it hasn't been an issue.

4. alexe3831

alexe3831 TS Enthusiast Posts: 29

With issues with devices going into stanby mode, checking the power settings is always a good idea, I found that out the hard way when my external SSD kept powering down in the middle of a backup x.x.

But I hope the proposed solution works for you :)

~Alex

5. Modena

Modena TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 142

Perfect worked well, thank you guys.

6. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +58