Data Execution Prevention problem win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmd

hi,

first off in case it matters my rig is:

ASUS M2N68-CM

AMD Athlon 64 Socket AM2 LE-1640 (2.6GHz)

Crucial 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix

7600GT gfx card (can't remember brand off hand)

Win XP Pro SP2

currently have a problem with my PC, was clearing up my desktop and (due to a dodgy mouse button) accidentaly double clicked on an .exe file (was a setup for a utility to tell me details of an avi). As soon as I had done this I had a window pop up that I hadn't seen before:

Data Execution Prevention

to help protect your computer windows has closed this program

Name: windows explorer

Publisher: Microsoft corporation

when this happened the taskbar/start menu/all desktop items disappeared and didn't come back, the firefox windows I had open worked still and I could alt-tab between them fine, just not do anything else much.

I restarted through task manager, however once the PC booted up again I quickly realised this appears to be happening for any and all .exe setup files I try to run (e.g. just tried to update my gfx card drivers with a download from nvidia site)....

checked in control panel and DEM is set to essential Windows programs and services only.

Someone suggested I should do a system restore then run an AV

So I tried to do a system restore and got as far as selecting the date for the restore and hitting OK, then got a dialogue box that said

"system restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again."

so I restarted went into the start menu to do retry the restore but as soon as I hit system restore got the same message.

Also while it still won't let me run any .exe setup files .exe files that were already installed are working fine. Additionally my task bar/start menu etc now looks like windows 95 for some reason....

haven't really got much of a clue about DEM so thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any ideas.

If there is anything else I can post that will help let me know.

Cheers,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back