Data Recovery

By Herbster63
May 27, 2008
  1. Had Trouble retrieving data from a hard drive that crashed kept getting access denied message due to my documents having a password on it but following Kimsland advice(below) data recovered Phew thought i lost all my photos
    Thanks a million

Xp pro on crashed drive
    Xp Home on system i put drive into

Thanks to Techspot For This Great Site Also
    Cheers Herb
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Security Permission issue

Right click the folder you want to open and choose Properties>Security. Make sure their is a group named "Everyone". If not click Add>Advanced>"Find Now" and choose everyone. Click OK and you should no longer get those nasty Access Denied messages. (refer to the above link to allow specifically your user account to access the old Hard Drive folders)

Note: in Windows Xp Home, the "Security" menu will not show. Just start your computer in Safe Mode (continuously press F8 function key on computer Startup then select Safe Mode)
    Also confirm that you are running an Administrator privlidged account. (Check Users in Control Panel)
  3. kimsland

How did it all go ?
  4. Herbster63

Herbster63 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Thanks Kimland edited my first post so mucked things up abit lol but re edited it hope that dont stuff things up but wasnt to hard in the end the safe mode for home made the diff
    will leave post alone next time lol:)
  5. kimsland

Great to hear it's resolved :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.