Day Light Savings (A must read)

Did you actually think about this before you read the article?

• Yes and I've got it under control.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Yes, and I'm quitting on Thursday.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • This is just another Y2k rip off.

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Windows Update for XP SP2 for the time change came out in December of 2006 I think. I forget exactly but I did install the update at the time.

Att: Aussies

Get the update for your PC clock from Windows update,it's classified as
Critical.
As for me,it's easy to change any clock I have.As for XP,just double click the clock to have it set.

Attachments

• Time.jpg
    Time.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 21
I don't really see it being a big problem. Windows and OS X already know how to deal with this. My cell phone I believe picks up time from the towers, so I imagine they are going to get it right, so my phone will deal with it fine. And myself, well I'm pretty sure I'm capable of dealing with a time change. Its a non-issue.

I'm trying to get the point across that on anything outside of a conventional operating system, there will be problems. Anyone with more then a 1000 computers in a windows 2000 enviroment, has a lot of work to do and you don't see much to the effect it will play on routers and switches.

Nice needed post

But so far you've only heard from the unconcerned.
I'm sure there will be some members who need this info.
Maybe it should be a "Sticky"

Sticky explained

so4thnsolong said:
I'm not sure what a sticky is. I guess I'll try and figure that out.
They don't seem to do it here,but it's an interesting post that stays
at the top of the forum topic.The Moderators do it,or post them.
Like rules to use this forum.
Site Feedback & Suggestions has them.But They call them
read :

My wife got a memo from her IT people at her work place last week. Some of the companies computers will need the MS Update, other systems won't need it. I installed the MS Update about a week ago

I am the IT Project Manager for SP2 Rollout Project for large company and plus have to deal with DST issues. Which is also being phased in. All work must be completed by March 11 Sunday, as the new DST will start. I can tell you it's a big mess.

zipperman said:
They don't seem to do it here,but it's an interesting post that stays
at the top of the forum topic.

Our READ threads are our sticky threads, we have them in every forum save one. ;)

Regards Howard :)

I saw a few minutes of the Today Show, and they had someone saying that this would be very unhealthy in the computer world....and to a point I do agree. Not all computers run a "percieved" operating system, and a time fluctuation can do harm. I think that this should have been thought out much more than it was.

I suppose the "Spring ahead and Fall back" can be done manually :) I don't really foresee a problem... We've got 4 days left

Asking legislators (who passed the law) to think things through can be a futile exercise. The rule of unintended consequences applies particularly to legislation.

Would this affect all countries that practice our current daylight savings time? If not...then what's the point :suspiciou ?

1900th post :D

I say just another y2k ripoff. And... cfitzarl how do you get so many posts? ATM I'm struggling to get 950 to get "Techspot Addict."

Nothing better to do?

I guess our legislators found some idol time on there hands. Instead of paying attention to the ongoing civil war in Iraq, that we are involved in and other more pressing issues; they felt it necessary to change the date of daylight savings. Scary!:suspiciou :suspiciou

My initial reactions is much like most of those above, "big deal; I can change it manually".
HOWEVER, I have a friend in the security business and his company has
THOUSANDS of old programs that need to be reset one at a time, manually;
there's no remote admin assistance! Q.E.D. For some applications this IS a big deal.
(seems the designer was more interested in sales than service :) )

The applications that have real concerns are those that have automated
hardware controls base upon the date-time of specific events.

I wonder how many countries follow Daylight Savings Time...

It still amazes me just how many companies still operate with their "dark ages" computers. They will have to be dragged into the 21st Century kicking and screaming! I was recently asked to submit a bid to build 10 computers for a local Toyota dealer here in town. I declined. I didn't want to become "married" to them, providing tech support. I'll let Dell or HP handle that

For my personal computer this will be no big deal. At my work there was a HUGE deal to get Lotus Notes updated in time. We just got updated last weekend so our calendars won't go all bonkers on Monday and I miss some meetings. Not that that would be a bad thing :)

So. Where is the huge catastrophy? I've not heard anything on the news about it being a problem.

SNGX1275 said:
So. Where is the huge catastrophy? I've not heard anything on the news about it being a problem.
yea you figure they would have done a report last week on this lol...but i had no problems..my spare cell phone that has no service even changed its time on its own

My (and TimeParadox's :D ) forum is screwed up, and I had to make an announcement to let people know to switch their gmt's one down (-5 to -4 for me) to get the right time. Windows didn't change for me either :mad: ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back