Days Gone director says it outsold Ghost of Tsushima, but studio management still weren't...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Most people consider 2019’s open-world ‘bikers meet zombies’ (or Freakers, to be exact) game Days Gone to have been a bit of a failure, based on critics' reviews, so it might come as a surprise to learn that it outsold the critically acclaimed Ghost of Tsushima. But its director says that studio management still treated it like a disappointment despite shifting over 8 million copies.

Jeff Ross, the director of Days Gone who left Bend Studio in 2020 after two decades at the company, tweeted that the game has outsold Ghost of Tsushima. His post came after developer Sucker Punch announced that the Samurai adventure had sold over 8 million copies since launching in July 2020.

In the time since Days Gone arrived on Steam in May 2021, it's sold over a million more copies.

But Ross says selling more units than Ghost of Tsushima wasn’t enough to satisfy Bend Studio management.

Days Gone launched to very average scores from critics; it has a Metascore of 71 for PS4 and 76 for PC. But user scores are a lot more favorable: 8.4 for PS4, 8.6 for PC, 9.2 from Amazon users, and a Very Positive rating on Steam. Ross did add, however, that although Sony does appreciate high scores from critics, "the grief we got was about the sales, not the scores." When someone suggested that there might be better leadership at Bend Studio these days, Ross replied with “nope.”

Last year, Bloomberg reported that developer Bend Studio made a pitch for Days Gone 2 in 2019 but was turned down due to the original's mixed reception and long development time. “Although the first game had been profitable, its development had been lengthy and critical reception was mixed, so a Days Gone 2 wasn’t seen as a viable option,” the publication wrote.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has confirmed that Bend Studio is now working on a new IP that builds “on the deep open-world systems that they developed with Days Gone.” Hopefully, this one will be better received.

Days Gone was one of the many games discounted as part of the recent Steam Winter sale. This writer bought it and has been quite impressed so far, definitely one of those titles that fall in the very good if not great category.

Permalink to story.

If I had to guess, every 2022 management team will question even the most record-breaking acclaimed games that come out with stuff like "Why didn't you put NFTs on it? Why are you not extracting at least 3 or 4 times more money than the initial sale price?"

Is not that the AAA industry would probably crash, it's that it *deserves* to crash and it deserves to be wiped out from the face of the planet: Companies like EA, Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Activision all of them should be dissolved and have their assets go directly to their former developers.

Management wouldn't be happy even if they would earn a few billions cuz they could "always" earn more, right? tbh interesting story but for my taste a bit too long.

Meanwhile some crummy company is hurriedly working on another fortnite clone or 4v1 failure, yay gaming.

So they were not satisfied with the 8mil copies sold for Days Gone, but those *****s at Naughty Dog were and still are supported with that piece of **** failure TLOU2 which after the initial bragging of 4mil sales has gone completely quiet and absent for almost 2 years, pathetic... a world full of lunatics.

I can't wait for their HBO TV show and the next failure of Last of US game to crash and burn under Cuckman's leadership into the woke, inverted ideologies and juxtapose politics that turn games into propaganda machines of their agendas, instead of being activities of only entertainment, which is what they are supposed to actually be in the 1st place. Bleh...

Well, this article doesn't tell us what exactly have been said, but as it stands now, the game has sold well and it is well received. Sites like IGN will now just quietly forget they didn't commend the game too much and pretend that they have always liked it, but there was just one issue back then that was since fixed, etc, etc.
Another point is that the amount of copies don't tell how much have been earned, since some games get discounted fairly quickly. I'm sure though that for any not greedy participant Days Gone has been a satisfying success on any metric, even if making a direct sequel for such game would be off limits, given the story is something that doesn't necessarily have a great continuum.

,<snip>
Companies like EA, Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Activision all of them should be dissolved and have their assets go directly to their former developers.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, just have no idea how it would be implemented. I assume you are aware that the majority of the development studios purchased by these publishers have been shut down. That's what AAA publishers do, squeeze a game out of a studio then fire everyone to reap all the profits (no employees = no expenses). Who would their give the IP to?

One of the hundred zombie games in past 5 years. That's what I think of it. It's all the same more or less. Difference between them is either it's a "kill as many and quickly as possible" or "you don't have anything, sneak and pick up bread and gum, maybe occasional bullet"

One of the hundred zombie games in past 5 years. That's what I think of it. It's all the same more or less. Difference between them is either it's a "kill as many and quickly as possible" or "you don't have anything, sneak and pick up bread and gum, maybe occasional bullet"

The theme is generic, but the gameplay is great and mood little bit more serious. You certainly did not look beyond the surface, but I'm not saying you would enjoy the game in either case.

I picked up a $10 PS4 physical game - my wife really enjoyed it - brought a number of games on Epic other day - this one still had a fairly high price - well for me - as we already had it on console. Otherwise the price was probably ok - never watched her play - but seem ride your motorbike around , fill up on petrol , do some killings , ride around some more - easy times

Isn't that the game where one of the developers was complaining about people waiting for sales and not buying at full price? https://gamerant.com/days-gone-developer-buy-full-price/

Yeah, pretty much put me off buying it regardless of the quality of the game. It also sounds to me like there might be a fair amount of whinners working there.
I mean I understand that video games have become a billion dollar industry with seemingly more bean counters than creative talent involved. Us gamers are suffering the results of that just as much if not more than game developers are.
But stuff happens. You do what you can do, and then put on your big boy pants and move on. Life is not, and never will be fair. That's a fact that adults learn, children never do...

If management don't appreciate, it is good that he moved on. Metacritic score is only 1 aspect to measure how good the game is since it is very subjective to the reviewer. Ultimately how much you earn from the game is the ultimate measure for any game publisher.

I have to say I really liked days gone. From the eerie music to the occasional radio announcements, I had a blast. It was turn off the brain type of entertainment and is a third person game. I'm happy pc gamers can experience this great game also.

Days Gone represents whats wrong with the games industry right now. All of its ingredients are pretty much bang on, great graphics, great detail, realistic zombies (realistic as in you can believe they could defeat the military), great voice acting, open world, customiseable, crafting, stealth, side quests. But the game is soul-less. There are lots of technically excellent games like these that have released but feel like they were made by a grey man wearing a suit for a large grey software company ticking boxes about what makes a good game.

The best game to come out over the last year or so (for PC) is easily Cyberpunk. It has more personality than Days Gone, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Far Cry and Halo Infinite put together. And its not even that great. Im terrified everytime they reboot a great old franchise at this point, the outer worlds almost killed Fallout but as its not Fallout hasnt killed it. But Bethesda will release a new Elder scrolls game at some point and im petrified at what we are going to get, especially with MS execs sticking their fat fingers where nobody wants them to.

Days Gone represents whats wrong with the games industry right now. All of its ingredients are pretty much bang on, great graphics, great detail, realistic zombies (realistic as in you can believe they could defeat the military), great voice acting, open world, customiseable, crafting, stealth, side quests. But the game is soul-less. There are lots of technically excellent games like these that have released but feel like they were made by a grey man wearing a suit for a large grey software company ticking boxes about what makes a good game.

The best game to come out over the last year or so (for PC) is easily Cyberpunk. It has more personality than Days Gone, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Far Cry and Halo Infinite put together. And its not even that great. Im terrified everytime they reboot a great old franchise at this point, the outer worlds almost killed Fallout but as its not Fallout hasnt killed it. But Bethesda will release a new Elder scrolls game at some point and im petrified at what we are going to get, especially with MS execs sticking their fat fingers where nobody wants them to.
Though I haven't played Cyberpunk 2077 (it's aimed for teens/young adults anyway and has corny stuff), I think the rather opposite. I don't find anything wrong about either one though, they are for different audiences even if they share some design choices. I find it more soulless to release a game completely broken. Your speech is very contradictory, though I guess that was the purpose (troll purpose?)?

Though I haven't played Cyberpunk 2077 (it's aimed for teens/young adults anyway and has corny stuff), I think the rather opposite. I don't find anything wrong about either one though, they are for different audiences even if they share some design choices. I find it more soulless to release a game completely broken. Your speech is very contradictory, though I guess that was the purpose (troll purpose?)?
Cyberpunk is far from perfect. In fact, it’s a broken mess as a game. But the storylines and the general atmosphere of the game is so much better than the dry storylines and environments we have had from other games of recent.

Skyrim was way buggier than Cyberpunk on release, it ran at less than 20fps on the consoles of the time but we didn’t care, the game was incredible. You wanted to be there, you wanted to find out what happens. You still played even if your save file became corrupted and you lost dozens of hours of gameplay.

And I’m not “trolling”. You may be boring and only care about how stable some software is on release but we aren’t all the same.

Back