Sony's Ghost of Tsushima brings familiar PlayStation features to PC

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: Sony's PC conversions of its first-party PlayStation games have maintained a fairly consistent quality, including all the performance and quality-of-life features users expect. They have also become predictable. However, Ghost of Tsushima, which debuted four years ago on PlayStation 4, introduces a notable new feature as Sony begins to push cross-platform interactions between PlayStation and PC.

Sony recently published the PC spec sheet for Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut. While somewhat demanding (especially at 4K), the system requirements aren't unusual compared to recent big-budget releases. The PC port's most significant addition is the debut of a PlayStation overlay, which enables multiplayer cross-play and access to PlayStation account features.

The feature's primary benefit is enhancing cross-play between PC and console users in the game's co-op Legends mode. Players can log into their PlayStation accounts and access their friends lists on their PC. Sony's new emphasis on cross-play follows the explosive success of Helldivers 2, a co-op shooter that debuted on both platforms in February and quickly sold millions of copies.

Ghost of Tsushima's PlayStation overlay allows PC users to unlock trophies while simultaneously earning Steam or Epic Games Store achievements. Since players link with their PSN account, trophies carry over from the PS5 and remain in sync between platforms. To open the overlay, either press Shift + F1 on the keyboard or select it from the in-game menu.

Ghost of Tsushima supports various aspect ratios, upscaling solutions, and input features, keeping in line with other Sony PC ports. The game includes 21:9, 32:9, and 48:9 (triple monitor) ultra-wide. It supports upscaling via DLSS, FSR, and XeSS. It also includes DLSS 3 and FSR 3 frame generation, with enhanced anti-aliasing via DLAA or FSR 3 Native AA. DualSense controller haptic feedback and adaptive triggers still require a wired connection.

Mid-range graphics cards like the GeForce RTX 3070 or Radeon RX 6800 should enable native 1440p gameplay at 60fps. However, achieving that framerate at 4K (presumably without upscaling) might require recent high-end cards like the RTX 4080 or RX 7900 XT. Ghost of Tsushima's minimum system requirements might support handheld systems like the Steam Deck or Asus ROG Ally.

Click to enlarge

For comparison, Nixxes claimed that Horizon: Forbidden West, which requires an RX 5500 XT or GTX 1650 for 720p 30fps gameplay, runs on handhelds. However, its Steam Deck status is marked as "Unsupported" because Valve determined that none of its graphics settings run well on the system. Meanwhile, Ghost of Tsushima's spec sheet lists the same minimum Radeon GPU alongside a GTX 960 for the low-end Nvidia recommendation, indicating it might be less demanding than Forbidden West.

The Director's Cut includes Sucker Punch's historical-themed samurai open-world action game and the Iki Island expansion. It comes to Steam and the Epic Games Store on May 16 and requires 75 GB of storage space.

Permalink to story:

Having completed this on the PS4 Pro, and again on my PS5.

I'm happy and excited for PC gamers getting the chance to enjoy this game. It may not offer anything new in the open world formula, but it's a very fun, well made game and enjoyable from start to finish.

Last edited:
Nixxes is quickly cementing themselves as the gold standard in console to PC ports. The requirements from minimum to 4k60+ are not only very reasonable, but are given without upscaling being required. Then when it comes to upscaling, they give every possible player the best solutions for their respective hardware. They also tend to launch in a state that is very good, especially when compared against some other recent years efforts.

Another Sony game I can't wait to play on PC.

Always good when games have all upscalers present. I want to use DLAA in all games, nothing comes close.
The native resolution not only comes close, but it is even better;) and if the ps4 made this game looks so beautiful, 4090 will have little issues to refer it in its full glory.

Btw hdr is a must. This game is in my absolute top 5, and visually it is first.

The native resolution not only comes close, but it is even better;) and if the ps4 made this game looks so beautiful, 4090 will have little issues to refer it in its full glory.

Btw hdr is a must. This game is in my absolute top 5, and visually it is first.
Native never beats DLAA in terms of visuals, it is the whole point of DLAA. DLAA beats any other AA method with ease today and native looks bad without AA on top, even at 4K/UHD. Jaggies and jittering textures. With DLAA its 100% clean and crisp.

Even DLSS can beat native visuals while boosting performance alot:

Its not like PS5 runs this game at "native" res anyway. Even Resolution mode uses checkerboard upscaling, which is far worse than DLSS in terms of visuals.

PS5 Pro will use PSSR, which is DLSS-like upscaling. FSR was not good enough, so Sony developed their own upscaler.

Last edited:
Native never beats DLAA in terms of visuals, it is the whole point of DLAA. DLAA beats any other AA method with ease today and native looks bad without AA on top, even at 4K/UHD. Jaggies and jittering textures. With DLAA its 100% clean and crisp.

Even DLSS can beat native visuals while boosting performance alot:

Its not like PS5 runs this game at "native" res anyway. Even Resolution mode uses checkerboard upscaling, which is far worse than DLSS in terms of visuals.

PS5 Pro will use PSSR, which is DLSS-like upscaling. FSR was not good enough, so Sony developed their own upscaler.

Native beats anything TAA-based 100% of the time.

Native beats anything TAA-based 100% of the time.
Yeah downsampling and DLAA easily beats native.
DLAA shits on native and TAA is literally a blurry mess.

DLSS destroys TAA.

AMD GPU user I bet. The reason AMD users hate upscaling is because FSR is terrible.

Sony invented PSSR for PS5 Pro because FSR was too bad. Today even XeSS beats FSR.

It's clear you have no experience at all with DLAA or any RTX features :joy:

Last edited:
Having completed this on the PS4 Pro, and again on my PS5.

I'm happy and excited for PC gamers, getting the chance to enjoy this game. It may not offer anything new in the open world formula, but it's a very fun well made game and enjoyable from start to finish.
I cant wait to play it on pc :)

You know nothing. DLAA shits on native and TAA is literally trash.

Even DLSS destroys TAA.

AMD GPU user I bet. The reason AMD users hate upscaling is because FSR is terrible.

Sony invented PSSR for PS5 Pro because FSR was too bad. Today even XeSS beats FSR.
Only in your dreams, TAA and its derivatives destroy the image, creating a layer of blur. Only a nerd with severe visual impairment would say that native high resolution without TAA is inferior to TAA and its derivatives. DLSS only exists because of TAA, which means it's inferior.

Sony as well as Nvidia invented these subterfuges because their respective hardware is too weak to deliver what they promised, 4k @ 60fps and 4k @ 60 with RT respectively.

Only in your dreams, TAA and its derivatives destroy the image, creating a layer of blur. Only a nerd with severe visual impairment would say that native high resolution without TAA is inferior to TAA and its derivatives. DLSS only exists because of TAA, which means it's inferior.

Sony as well as Nvidia invented these subterfuges because their respective hardware is too weak to deliver what they promised, 4k @ 60fps and 4k @ 60 with RT respectively.

Even DLSS can beat native with ease - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/outriders-dlss-performance

And DLAA will beat Native EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Must suck using inferior AMD GPU with no proper features :joy: :joy: You get what you pay for tho.

AMD is cheaper for a reason. Inferior features, higher power draw, low resell value (because of no demand), sucky RT/PT perf and Drivers that brick machines - https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-drivers-are-bricking-windows-11-systemsagain

Hahaha :joy:

This is why AMD GPU sales are lower than ever.

Even DLSS can beat native with ease - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/outriders-dlss-performance

Must suck using inferior AMD GPU with no proper features :joy: :joy: You get what you pay for tho.

AMD is cheaper for a reason. Inferior features, higher power draw, low resell value (because of no demand), sucky RT/PT perf and Drivers that brick machines - https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-drivers-are-bricking-windows-11-systemsagain

Stop showing comparisons with TAA vs DLSS, both are blurry garbage. Use your brain for something other than thinking everyone is a blind fanboy like you.

Stop showing comparisons with TAA vs DLSS, both are blurry garbage. Use your brain for something other than thinking everyone is a blind fanboy like you.
Hahaha you have exactly zero experience with this, too obvious. DLAA is the best AA solution today, as in nothing beats it. Sadly AMD users would not know. Me and my 4090 knows tho. There's tons of DLAA articles, go read. It sh1ts on native any day. Crisper and sharper every single time, no jaggies at all.

They compared DLSS with 4K/UHD Native in that article and DLSS beats it easily. TAA not even mentioned. Reality hurts I know.

Keep thinking native matters, entire industry has left native behind at this point. Even Starfield which was AMD sponsored has FSR2 enabled as default (sadly it sucked and RTX users modded DLSS/DLAA day one) - Sadly the game sucked, like 98% of AMD sponsored titles.

:joy: :joy:

and PS5 Pro will have PSSR because FSR was too bad. FSR is the worst upscaler today.

All AMD GPU owners ramble about is native res and VRAM, while sales are lower than ever. Thanks for a good laugh tho. If AMD keeps this up, they will be below 10% dGPU marketshare in no time. RDNA4 won't even be able to compete with 5070 series and RDNA5 is 2026+

RDNA = RDOA

You save nothing buying AMD when you factor in resell value and power usage :joy: you get inferior performance with inferior features and wonky drivers. HENCE THE PRICE.

Funny enough not even 7900XTX is good for 4K gaming, so what are AMD users going to do with no proper upscaler? Play at low settings or enjoy silky smooth 30 fps? :joy:

No wonder AMD is leaving the high-end market completely with RDNA4, no AMD GPU above 500 dollars ever sold well. Most of their sales are done in the 150-300 dollar segment which Nvidia barely cares about.

Last edited:

Honestly, he's right. This looks TAA, you can tell by the blurry textures. In most comparisons, reviewers call native + TAA "native". Even the video they posted comes from the Nvidia channel.

Native 4k looks something like this, the textures are not blurred >

Honestly, he's right. This looks TAA, you can tell by the blurry textures. In most comparisons, reviewers call native + TAA "native". Even the video they posted comes from the Nvidia channel.

Don't waste time, he's too fanatic about Nvidia to see reality, and he thinks everyone is the same as him. All filters derived from TAA suffer from the same curse, to obtain better quality in the future we need to get rid of TAA definitively:

Don't waste time, he's too fanatic about Nvidia to see reality, and he thinks everyone is the same as him. All filters derived from TAA suffer from the same curse, to obtain better quality in the future we need to get rid of TAA definitively:
I'm glad you linked that video because it's explained in that very video, most video games over the last 10 years, use TAA by default, it's baked right in, there's no option to turn it off on most games.

Have you actually seen a game where a mod has been created to forcibly remove TAA?

I'm glad you linked that video because it's explained in that very video, most video games over the last 10 years, use TAA by default, it's baked right in, there's no option to turn it off on most games.

Have you actually seen a game where a mod has been created to forcibly remove TAA?
On reddit there is a topic with a compilation of methods to disable TAA in any game, in some it is just about changing the .ini parameters. Google it:

"List Of Known Workarounds For Games With Forced TAA"

On reddit there is a topic with a compilation of methods to disable TAA in any game, in some it is just about changing the .ini parameters. Google it:

"List Of Known Workarounds For Games With Forced TAA"
From the Reddit post:
Cyberpunk like most games with forced TAA, use it to hide noise caused by bad SSR, shadowing, and AO implementations.

Metro Exodus - The game's lighting pipeline is tied to it. Ambient lighting literally disappears if you remove TAA.

Battlefield V - Also broken lighting similar to Metro Exodus. Though not as severe.

Watch Dogs: Legion - Doesn't allow you to have ambient occlusion enabled, as well as reflection quality set to anything higher than high.

Halo Infinite is probably a mess under the hood as well since its TAA is really, really smeary.

Battlefield 2042 is a grainy mess.

The vast majority of Unreal Engine 4 titles are broken without TAA. There's this hideous checkerboarded dither pattern on textures and foliage.

Project CARS 3 without TAA in the garage - stretched screen | broken reflections.

Are you telling me, you forcefully turn off TAA, actively breaking the game, and think it looks better?

From the Reddit post:
Cyberpunk like most games with forced TAA, use it to hide noise caused by bad SSR, shadowing, and AO implementations.

Metro Exodus - The game's lighting pipeline is tied to it. Ambient lighting literally disappears if you remove TAA.

Battlefield V - Also broken lighting similar to Metro Exodus. Though not as severe.

Watch Dogs: Legion - Doesn't allow you to have ambient occlusion enabled, as well as reflection quality set to anything higher than high.

Halo Infinite is probably a mess under the hood as well since its TAA is really, really smeary.

Battlefield 2042 is a grainy mess.

The vast majority of Unreal Engine 4 titles are broken without TAA. There's this hideous checkerboarded dither pattern on textures and foliage.

Project CARS 3 without TAA in the garage - stretched screen | broken reflections.

Are you telling me, you forcefully turn off TAA, actively breaking the game, and think it looks better?
In some games you use mods like reshade to counteract the side effects of removing TAA.

Everyone has their own preferences. But, In my opinion, TAA is an aberration and should never be created; you lose a lot of sharpness that reduces the perception of the graphic evolution embedded in recent games.

Haha he's not right at all. DLAA beats native any day of the week, it is the whole point of DLAA.

As a 4090 owner I can use everything and nothing beats DLAA. AMD GPU users can only dream of AA like this, yet they won't believe reality BECAUSE THEY CAN'T USE IT. Very simple.

I don't hate AMD. I use AMD CPU: 7800X3D, but their GPUs? No thanks. Mediocre. And this is pretty much a fact. Sales numbers are lower than ever.

AMD GPU users claim every single Nvidia feature I bad. Yet every review concludes that they are superior. AMD invented NOTHING in terms of GPUs in the last many generations, all they do is try and copy RTX features and they fail every time.

AMD can't do Ray Tracing, can only dream about Path Tracing.
AMD FSR is mediocre, even XeSS beats it, DLSS/DLAA destroys it.
AMD Anti Lag + is highly inferior to Reflex, and got people VAC banned.
AMD ReLive uses more ressources and has worse quality than ShadowPlay.

AMD drivers are wonky, especially for lesser popular titles, early access games and for emulators, where Nvidia shines in all + https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-drivers-are-bricking-windows-11-systemsagain

AMD has higher power usage and lower resell value, you pretty much save nothing by buying AMD at this point and you will have inferior looking visuals and worse performance overall while you have the card as well. This is why AMD GPUs are not selling. Accept reality.

Lets hope RDNA4 can change this. However RDNA4 won't have any high-end SKUs and Nvidia have the high end market for themself.

AMD don't really care about high-end GPUs because they are not selling much GPUs in this market. Niche market for them. Dominated by Nvidia.

The fact you think DLAA looks like TAA makes me giggle. It is clear you have ZERO EXPERIENCE with RTX features :joy:

DLAA shits on native and TAA is literally a blurry mess.

DLSS destroys TAA.

It's clear you have no experience at all with DLAA or any RTX features :joy:
I use FSR and it is fine, the bigger problems usually appear when you play at 1080p and try to upscale. or use performance mode. my laptop is 1600p so it works great for me. unless I pixel peep, I don't usually spot a noticeable difference and the extra FPS is worth it.

PS: my laptop has a 3070, but some games that I play only support FSR (eve online, genshin, etc)

I use FSR and it is fine, the bigger problems usually appear when you play at 1080p and try to upscale. or use performance mode. my laptop is 1600p so it works great for me. unless I pixel peep, I don't usually spot a noticeable difference and the extra FPS is worth it.

PS: my laptop has a 3070, but some games that I play only support FSR (eve online, genshin, etc)

Tons of people use FSR and like it - UPSCALING MATTERS - but DLSS/DLAA is just better.

DLAA is not upscaling tho, since it works at native res. It applies top tier anti aliasing and sharpening. Focus with DLAA is on improving visuals only, nothing else, and that is exactly what it does. Native looks blurry when you have seen DLAA applied first.

Techspot tested this. Techpowerup tested this (and constantly re-test when new AAA games release). DLSS wins every time and DLAA beats native every time.

AMD is revamping FSR as we speak so they can get closer to DLSS.

FSR 4 or 5 might deliver DLSS like upscaling or close. So far, they are not even close. Might take a few years before they get anywhere close - Sadly DLSS keeps improving too.

Game developers embraced upscaling long ago. Consoles used it for many years and PS5 Pro will have top notch upscaling, closer to DLSS than FSR is.

Upscaling is here to stay and native is not better looking anyway. Native needs sloppy AA on top to look decent and all AA solutions are inferior to DLAA. Every RTX owner knows this. Native with NoAA looks meh, even at 4K/UHD at 240Hz which I use (however I also have 1440p 360 Hz)

DLAA has a 5% performance hit on average tho, but DLAA can make 1440p look like 2160p or very very close. It looks better than 4K with NoAA for sure.

I play most of my games with DLAA because it looks the best without question. Sharper, crisper, beating native with ease. Only an AMD or GTX user would disagree BECAUSE THEY CAN'T USE IT. Very simple.

Stuff like FSR Native and CAS Sharpening is decent options for AMD users but still inferior to DLAA. I can use them all and tested them all. Nothing beats DLAA but FSR Native and CAS enabled is still better than "NATIVE"

Why it matters: Sony's PC conversions of its first-party PlayStation games have maintained a fairly consistent quality, including all the performance and quality-of-life features users expect. They have also become predictable. However, Ghost of Tsushima, which debuted four years ago on PlayStation 4, introduces a notable new feature as Sony begins to push cross-platform interactions between PlayStation and PC.

Sony recently published the PC spec sheet for Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut. While somewhat demanding (especially at 4K), the system requirements aren't unusual compared to recent big-budget releases. The PC port's most significant addition is the debut of a PlayStation overlay, which enables multiplayer cross-play and access to PlayStation account features.

The feature's primary benefit is enhancing cross-play between PC and console users in the game's co-op Legends mode. Players can log into their PlayStation accounts and access their friends lists on their PC. Sony's new emphasis on cross-play follows the explosive success of Helldivers 2, a co-op shooter that debuted on both platforms in February and quickly sold millions of copies.

Ghost of Tsushima's PlayStation overlay allows PC users to unlock trophies while simultaneously earning Steam or Epic Games Store achievements. Since players link with their PSN account, trophies carry over from the PS5 and remain in sync between platforms. To open the overlay, either press Shift + F1 on the keyboard or select it from the in-game menu.

Ghost of Tsushima supports various aspect ratios, upscaling solutions, and input features, keeping in line with other Sony PC ports. The game includes 21:9, 32:9, and 48:9 (triple monitor) ultra-wide. It supports upscaling via DLSS, FSR, and XeSS. It also includes DLSS 3 and FSR 3 frame generation, with enhanced anti-aliasing via DLAA or FSR 3 Native AA. DualSense controller haptic feedback and adaptive triggers still require a wired connection.

Mid-range graphics cards like the GeForce RTX 3070 or Radeon RX 6800 should enable native 1440p gameplay at 60fps. However, achieving that framerate at 4K (presumably without upscaling) might require recent high-end cards like the RTX 4080 or RX 7900 XT. Ghost of Tsushima's minimum system requirements might support handheld systems like the Steam Deck or Asus ROG Ally.

Click to enlarge

For comparison, Nixxes claimed that Horizon: Forbidden West, which requires an RX 5500 XT or GTX 1650 for 720p 30fps gameplay, runs on handhelds. However, its Steam Deck status is marked as "Unsupported" because Valve determined that none of its graphics settings run well on the system. Meanwhile, Ghost of Tsushima's spec sheet lists the same minimum Radeon GPU alongside a GTX 960 for the low-end Nvidia recommendation, indicating it might be less demanding than Forbidden West.

The Director's Cut includes Sucker Punch's historical-themed samurai open-world action game and the Iki Island expansion. It comes to Steam and the Epic Games Store on May 16 and requires 75 GB of storage space.

Permalink to story:

As someone who hasn't played Ghost of Tsushima yet, I'm really looking forward to diving into this beautiful world on PC! The PC features like ultrawide support and multiple upscaling options sound fantastic, and the option to unlock trophies while earning achievements is a cool touch. Hopefully the minimum specs allow for decent performance on the Steam Deck too!

Always good when games have all upscalers present. I want to use DLAA in all games, nothing comes close.
The best head to head comparison is native anti aliasing techniques to dlaa and now fsr 3 native aa. I was only able to find one video but unfortunately ai dlss dlaa is still superior.
I'll try to find more side by side content.

Back