DDR2-800 vs DDR2-1066

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanman

Hi all

I am building my new computer soon and i am juggling between going with 4GB of DDR2-1066 ram or DDR2-800.

My question is this. Is DDR2-1066 worth paying extra for? How much of a performance gain is there?

Either way, i will be going with 4GB of Corsair XMS2 memory.

Thanks, Nissanman

DDR3 is practically the same price, and performs better while taking less voltage.
The world has moved to DDR3, why not stay with it? All modern motherboards support DDR3.

at the moment. Theres no DDR3 AMD based motherboards that support SLI. Which i will be going with in the future (Not a big ATI fan). Atleast i dont think there is anyway.

Ive already decided what motherboard ill be getting for this build. (Asus M4N82 Deluxe). Intel is too expensive aswell, so they are not an option for me, although i do like Intel cpu's. Id like to stick with AMD on this one.

Another quick question. Would DDR2-800 overclock better then 1066? Like i said, Im getting Corsair XMS2 memory. Either that, or ill go with Gskill.

Umm...correct me if i'm wrong, but yes they do.
ATI is part of AMD.

There are no DDR3, AMD based motherboards that support SLI.

However, there are ones that support Crossfire.

Its seems you got Crossfire and SLI mixed up. Crossfire is for ATI. SLI is Nvidia.

Anyway. I just checked the prices of both DDR2 800 and DDR2 1066. Over here in New Zealand, 2x2GB (4GB) of DDR2 1066 Corsair memory is roughly 35 dollars more then 4gb of DDR2 800 Corsair memory. So has anyone here had any experience with both 800 and 1066 memory? and is it worth the extra 35 dollars for me, or is it better to go with DDR2?

hmmm, it says they are DDR3 and SLI compatible. But i thought that the nforce 790i was the one chipset by nvidia to support ddr3..

Edit: Those boards are 750a. I dunno, i could be wrong.

ah well, ive decided to go with DDR2 800 memory. Because its cheaper and i want to cut costs because i dont really want this build to cost much more then $2000 NZ.

They seem like nice boards, Asus is always a safe choice. It seems decently priced for a duel GPU capable mobo, never want to cut too many corners on a build.

As far as the chipset, you'll have to talk to someone more familiar with nvidia. My last Nvidia board was a socket 754 nforce3 lol

Whoa, hold off until the numbers come out for the rest of the 400series. At least then the 285 will drop in price if you wanna stick with it. I say hold onto the 9600gt for at least another month or two and see what happens.

On top of that, consider the hd5000, better deals in my opinion.
DDR2 1066 is not at all worth more that $10 more.
However, an AM3 and DDR3 I think is a worth investment.

He wants nvidia and save a few dollars on some memory. 800-1066 isn't a very huge deal anyway. Decent DDR3 is still pricey and so are the mobos that support SLI.

He wants nvidia and save a few dollars on some memory. 800-1066 isn't a very huge deal anyway. Decent DDR3 is still pricey and so are the mobos that support SLI.
It'actually almostthe sem price as DDR2 at the moment. I know, I bought 4GBs the week before last. (GSkill DDR3 @ most about 10% above the same brand, comparable model in DDR2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back