DDR400, is it really running at 400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X DarthMonkey X

Well, here we go again: I'm getting helped out.

At least, I hope I am...

Anyway, here's the deal: My RAM is Kingston DDR400. I would tell you the exact model num. but I don't really feel like removing the sticks.

Mobo: Biostar K8M800-M7A
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3200 (754)
RAM: 2x Kingston DDR400 512M

I think that's all you'll need.

Anyway, When I look in WarpSpeeder (A program bundled with the mobo, used for overclocking) It shows RAM speed as 166 MHz. Now, I don't know exactly how to read this.

I once read somewhere that with DDR, you double what it's showing you, thusly: 166 translates to 333 MHz. Now, my RAM is supposed to be running at 400, and I have confirmed that the mobo supports that. So, what do I do? Or am I just looking too much into it and being paranoid?

Look in your mobo-manual to find the BIOS-settings to change the FSB from 166 to 200, so it runs at 400MHz.
Current FSB Frequency=200/Current DRAM Frequency=200/DRAM Clock=400, stuff like that.
A half decent mobo should tell you at startup that it runs in DDR400 mode/128bit (mine does, Abit AV8 3rd Eye).

RealBlackStuff said:
A half decent mobo should tell you at startup that it runs in DDR400 mode/128bit
That's for a socket-939/dual channel motherboard, he's running a socket-754 system. Btw even though your HTT link runs at the proper speed of 200, most motherboards will default the memory speed to 166. You just need to set it back to 200 in the BIOS as RBS said. If given the option, try to set command rate to "1T" which should bring in a nice performance boost.

Hmmm, okay I set it to 1T, but the clock frquency max was 166...

So, BIOS Upgrade?

Or am I overlooking something?

Edit: For command rate, there were three options: 1T, 2T and Auto. What's 2T do, compared to 1T?

2T is slower compared to 1T. Check the speed of the HTT link (it is sometimes called HyperTransport link in a few BIOSes).

Hmm... I know the board supports HTT, but I'll have to look in the manual to find out where to set it.

unless anyone here can tell me xD.

Anyway, off to cunsult the manual!

Well the manual wasn't very helpful. It only re-confirmed that it supports everything I already knew it supports...

Gah. It didn't tell me HOW to do anything. (Unless I need to install my CPU, which I don't think I need)

Anyway, I'll jst go look in the BIOS again...

Also, about the BIOS Update? Should I?

Only if you're sure you can't get it running at 400 with the current BIOS & if you are sure about how to upgrade the BIOS. Otherwise it won't be worth it. ;)

Btw I looked at your motherboard's manual & indeed it doesn't say anything about the BIOS. Talk about lacking documentation.

I know, don't you love it? Gotta love these extensive and informative user manuals. Well anyway I'm gonna go flash the BIOS. I'll get back to you when I'm done.

In a related note: I'm never buying another BioStar product again in my life >_<.

Well....... crap...... :dead:

Now, I've updated BIOS before a few times, but this time, I decided to experiment with a Windows-based flasher that came with the mobo... :angel:

It said some vague error (Verification failed) and I thought "Oh crapppp"

Right about now, the following scene played in my head: :hotbounce

I rebooted and was welcomed with a message telling me "BIOS Checksum failed. Searching for boot from drive A" And went on to tell me that it could not boot from drive A

"Oh hell no" I thought. "This can't be happening."

Well, this is apparently called the 'BootBlocker'. A 'special feature' of my BIOS that allows you to re-install a BIOS file downloaded from their website, using their DOS-based flasher. So, I went to the conputer I'm currently using, made a DOS-boot floppy and put their flasher program and a new BIOS file (Yes, the one for my mobo).

I WAS able to boot from this disc, and I WAS able to get into the BIOS flasher. I was able to use it to open the new BIOS image, and started flashing.

"Please wait..." it told me. So I went to eat, talk on the phone for a while, take a nap :zzz: , pee, watch two episodes of That 70's Show and an episode of Modern Marvels. Then I came back and...

"Please wait..."

"DAMN" I say, turn it off and decide to swap out the mobo tomorrow morning.

Now, everyone point and laugh at my misery/stupidity whilst I get my computer working.

I should be back tomorrow before noon. Hopefully, the new mobo (same model) will support the DDR400 :rolleyes:

What happened to
X DarthMonkey X said:
I'm never buying another BioStar product again in my life >_<.
Sorry to hear about your woes.
Did that Windoze util not make/advise to take a backup of the old BIOS before it started flashing?
If so, you could try and put the original back in (or DOS-flash an older BIOS version).

& whenever you have a bad BIOS flash, do not reboot until you've succesfully flashed it. Keep trying until it does a successfull flash.

RBS: No, it didn't tell me to, but I did make a backup anyway. Unfortunately, the DOS program couldn't flash that successfully either. Good to know I did something right though. :slurp:

Didou: Err... yeah.... oopsy. I guess you're right there. Oh well, I got my mobo swapped out now.

Unfortunately, it's still 166, but I guess I'll live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back