Dead Dell Latitude D610

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell latitude won't power up - no lights, no sign of life nothing. The charger lite is on - but I get nothing either with the battery in or out. Once by depressing the two mouse key I very briefly got the battery light to flicker on and off - I did then think it was charging.

Is a new battery likley to cure the problem ? 0 or is it a main board, or even a charger problem? Any ideas ?

OK heres an update - if I press down on the hinge panel (just above the insert key, and below where the lights show) and press the power button at the same time - it powers on and works fine ?

What do I need to replace to make it work properly ?

Sounds like the button control panel is out of postition. Was the laptop dropped? Do you have the skill and tools to disassemble a laptop?

Sounds like the button control panel is out of postition. Was the laptop dropped? Do you have the skill and tools to disassemble a laptop?

Well my kids may have dropped it - but they haven't told me.

Yes I have the tools - I know my way around desktop pc's - and would rather have a go myself then spend money/time in a shop - as this is an older pc ?

What do I need to do ?

Take a very small flat blade screw driver and gently but firmly remove the plastic switchplate cover. Start by prying up on one corner. This cover should pop out. Remove the switch assembly and inspect it for damage. Reinstall it and try powering up the laptop

Take a very small flat blade screw driver and gently but firmly remove the plastic switchplate cover. Start by prying up on one corner. This cover should pop out. Remove the switch assembly and inspect it for damage. Reinstall it and try powering up the laptop

OK - removed the cover as you suggested - had a look around all looks ok - tightened a few screws - didn't remove the circuit board thats hosts as the switches, as where I needed to press to make it work, wasn't anywhere near this. Put the cover back on - and the good news is it all works. But I still don't know what the problem was, or even if this is a permanent fix ......would you suggest I remove the circuit board that hosts the switch - even though the problem appears to be further away. ie to the right of the switch , by the right hinge ?

As long as it is working, you can leave it as is. No sign of external damage near the right hinge? I don't work on many Dell laptops. The parts are very expensive compared to other brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back