Dead Ethernet Connection on MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery_WA

Gday

I will keep this long story a short one. Is it possible for and ethernet connector on a motherboard to be replaced or fixed?

It appears mine has died, in part (I can access my router page) but cannot connect to the internet at all using it.

Luckily I had spare PCI card which I installed, and now am now back on the internet.

It appears mine has died, in part (I can access my router page) but cannot connect to the internet at all using it.

Luckily I had spare PCI card which I installed, and now am now back on the internet.
dead is dead and accessing ANYTHING is contradictory.

Using the suspected onboard device, wire the connection to the router.
Get a command Prompt (run->CMD)

enter IPCONFIG /ALL
It's a good sign to see the gateway, dns, and your IP addresses.

now PING the gateway address shown

do you get timing data? or timeouts?

if the former, then the onboard NIC is find and access to your mailbox and using
a browser are configuration issues, which include possible virus'

Gday
<snip> I can access my router page but cannot connect to the internet at all using it<snip>

Am I reading your post correctly that you can use your wired LAN device:
>> To connect to your router's home page? and i assume you can also then navigate through the router's web pages as well?
>> But you're saying you just can not connect to anything beyond your router? (i.e. the internet)

Let us know your IP config info (per above) but also if yes/no you can connect and talk to your router page's as would that would definitely say your device isn't dead (and might just be a config issue)

Am I reading your post correctly that you can use your wired LAN device:
>> To connect to your router's home page? and i assume you can also then navigate through the router's web pages as well?
>> But you're saying you just can not connect to anything beyond your router? (i.e. the internet)

Let us know your IP config info (per above) but also if yes/no you can connect and talk to your router page's as would that would definitely say your device isn't dead (and might just be a config issue)

Yes and yes I could connect to my routers homepage, anything beyond that was a no go.

I suspected a virus/spyware had made its way in, (that in my 13 years of being on the internet would have a been a first), I am extremely security concious.

However after 24 hours of trying everything I knew, I decided to reinstall my OS, which I did. Once more able to access my router page, but no internet activity at all.

Thats when I decided to use a PCI ethernet card I had, and bingo internet up and running.

I even went so far as to ring my ISP's tech support, who know less about PC's than I do, and I am no genious, nor am I an utter *****.

That is why I turned to you guys, I had tried everything to no avail. My husbands PC was still ticking away on the internet (leading me to believe I had indeed had a nasty lurking somewher). Hence the reinstall of the OS.

But as I stated the reinstall didnt work, put in the PCI card and here I am.

If you can explain it to me I would appreciate it, because it's got me totally stumped.

connect the onboard device port via cable to your router or modem

1) verify the driver is ok
right click My Computer->Manage->Device Mgr
scroll to see Network Adapters and expand the [+]
report all names and which, if any, have yellow or red flags on the icons

2) get a command prompt; click RUN and enter CMD
then type ipconfig /all >mytcp.txt and hit enter

come back to this thread and follow up and attach the file
\Documents and Settings\YourLogin\mytcp.txt

connect the onboard device port via cable to your router or modem

1) verify the driver is ok
right click My Computer->Manage->Device Mgr
scroll to see Network Adapters and expand the [+]
report all names and which, if any, have yellow or red flags on the icons

2) get a command prompt; click RUN and enter CMD
then type ipconfig /all >mytcp.txt and hit enter

come back to this thread and follow up and attach the file
\Documents and Settings\YourLogin\mytcp.txt

I haven't reinstalled the drivers for MB's ethernet connection, and for the moment I am not going to.

Two reasons :-
1. After the 1st clean install of my OS, installed the MB's ethernet connection ..... result no internet connection.
2. Installed PCI card and ethernet drivers, disabled the MB's ones, no internet connection.

It wasn't until I did a clean install with just the PCI card (and drivers), that I was able to connect to the internet,

Also please don't forget that for the moment I am still running Win2k Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back