Dead graphics card on Compaq Presario V6000

hello everyone.i have very little knowledge about laptop hardware and this is why i am posting here.
i have a compaq presario v6000 and it has been running fine for the past couple of years.a while back it started making noises and started heating up,but it never self booted or shutdown by itself.i had planned to get it serviced and clean its fan etc but it got delayed..2 days back,when i tried turning it on, it just wouldn't.i mean i switch on the power,i see the volume and power LEDs turned on but the screen wont appear.
i believe its graphics card has burned up or something. i have dropped it off the repair shop and all that they are doing is just scaring me saying that the graphics card can't be replaced as it is;the entire motherboard has to be changed.and even if the card could be changed,it wouldn't give any guarantee of not burning up again
so guyz here is my question: can the graphics card of a Compaq Presario V6000 notebook be replaced?i donot know which model it is but i guess its the default card that comes with every notebook of the said model.
i would really appreciate a quick response as i need an urgent verdict.i can not afford an entire new motherboard at this time but i need to work on the laptop..

I think the shops advise is most probably correct. I've been unable to confirm this for certain but in general 90% of laptops have the graphics card integrated into the motherboard, so if the graphics have failed then it has to be a new mobo.

The overheating was probably caused by a faulty fan or dust build up. This could also have damaged the CPU. Considering the cost of replacement your best bet would be a new PC.

I have read some reports that the V6000 had known problems with faulty soldering on the graphics chips. So, there is just a slim chance you might be able to find an electronics expert who could check the solderiing but it is micro soldering to say the least.

Thank you for your response..i guess i'l try to sale out this machine and see what i get out of it..its time for a new laptop for me :(

thanks for your help though!

Back