TechSpot

"Dead in five years": The reports of the tablet's demise are greatly exaggerated

By Julio Franco
May 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. There are wildly differing viewpoints on whether or not the tablet is on its way out, as you might guess. One perspective is that of the smartphone taking over what the tablet does; which is basically content consumption and creation,...

Read more

2. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Rookie Posts: 98   +6

Simply put. Disagree. Why? Because a lot revolves around ergonomics combined with laziness.

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,452   +227

Disagree with what exactly? A lot of things were said in the article.

4. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Rookie Posts: 98   +6

Good point lol, I was responding to this question in the article...

"Do you agree or disagree with the idea that tablets might become obsolete?"

5. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

While I like to beat on tablets as much as the next man (perhaps a little more) and will readily say at any given opportunity that they are nothing more than a toy that's lucky to be remembered after a month of purchase, I'm also going to say that they will not simply die. Once the gimmick crowd is over and done with, they'll eventually mature and become something worth using, eventually becoming a regular part of life.
    I can say this with great confidence, armed with nothing but a very flimsy interpretation of the fact that they were in Star Trek. I know there'll be some instant laughing and mocking at that, but look at it this way;
    Mobile phones. Wireless video chat. Voice enables computers. Automatic doors. Personal computers. Portable memory. Large, flat panelled, wall mounted monitors. They all started and existed in Star Trek. There's a long list of other stuff too, so it only stands to reason that tablets stand a real chance too.

Littleczr likes this.
  6. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Enthusiast Posts: 240   +31

I am not a tablet owner or fan, however, I think that he's the head of a company that makes a competing product. Why would he say anything else, and, more importantly, I do not understand why the tech media is giving his statement any credence. He is attempting to leverage this exposure to maximize marketing while, in effect, just passing gas.

7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,116   +722

Good article...I can see his point that phones may be powerful enough to replace them, but he's thinking in terms of technology and not economics. If there's demand, then they won't be obsolete. As technology improves tablets will get cheaper. This will increase their demand, perhaps in areas that don't exist today. If the Nexus 7 were $49 then we'd probably see them in schools, from grade school on up. They'd make better tools for kids at home too if they were much cheaper.

Also, the tail end of technology takes a while to die out. The clamshell cell phone is obsolete by anyone's standard, and they are still be used. The netbook died because it wasn't profitable, because tablets were a similar cost to build, but could be sold for much more. I would think the tablet would follow more the path of the PC... where the market gets saturated and upgrades aren't needed. But that'll take more than 5 years probably. Heins says it'll be replaced by the phone, and I don't think the phone can replace the tablet for couch facebook surfing.

8. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 880   +130

I don't know if it's in 5 years, but I do think that smart phones will replace tablets as they exist today. The concept of being able to pop your phone into a shell tablet, as some manufacturers have done, is probably closer to the future. If the 5-year-from-now smartphone is as powerful as today's tablets, it would be absolutely fantastic to have a single device that can seamlessly operate on a wide array of screens.

9. I hear flying cars are just around the corner too.

10. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,273   +151

Agree slightly,

Think the market will go the way of detachable laptop screens, whether its classed as a tablet once its detached is debatable I guess.

11. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

The BlackBerry CEO is just butthurt because his garbage tablet didnt succeed.

12. He stated "Businesses", not general public. One large screen in the workspace he may well be right.

Read what is daid, not what you want it to sya just to make an argument out of it.

13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

As much as I would like for them to die, they are most certainly here to stay.

14. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 981   +97

I see people everyday with their heads down looking at their phones, not tablets.

15. Jyrkz

Jyrkz TS Rookie

Well I think that u cant have both, notebooks(ultrabooks or what ever the case mby) and tablets.
    tablet will evolve to be better then notebook or the other way around, u just cant have both tablets and notebooks ยด(+ smarthphones, what allrdy have 8core cpus+ crazy gadgets)
    :cool:

16. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

A tablet is just a laptop without a keyboard. So I think we're safe... We will see more hybrid notebook/tablet designs, most likely.

17. Tablets are netbooks are laptops. They will morph and become one category just with or without KeyBard. The big market they are all missing is virtualization for tablet. This will be the "must have" prog for every tablet and whoever gets it done right, first, will steal a march. Intel procs help as they have virt support built in mostly.

18. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

They are one category, portable PC's.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.