Debate: Google's search pages prioritize ads and services over results

By Matthew
Sep 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A blog post questioning the priority Google places on displaying organic search results has sparked an interesting discussion between a Google employee and folks at Hacker News. On Monday, Alex Yumashev of Jitbit released an article suggesting that truly relevant...

Read more
  2. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Addict Posts: 331   +99

Don't even use Google any more.. Even though I'm in Canada.. it's the most open I've found that's usable.. duckduck go is a shambles to use..
  3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 537   +152

Get a 24" screen, problem solved.
  4. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 633   +163

Last I checked a % is a % no matter what size your screen is. What drives me the MOST insane about google search results is that they don't filter out the obvious bullS*** sites. You search for a driver download and the first 7 results are all from and and

They need to get their heads back in the game.
    psycros likes this.
  5. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 304   +62

Funny. I just googled "saas help desk" and got zero ads. Then again I'm in America and that test was with the UK site.
  6. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

Man, I miss the old Google. So much more readable, better results, FAR less annoying and infinitely more useful. Now we have a screen full or gabage and....Google plus. Yay.
  7. TechnikL

TechnikL TS Rookie

Or, just use something like Firefox with AdBlockPlus addon, I have forgotten about ads altogether, I only get "organic results and google tools and services. Not to mention the joy of searching anywhere else on the net with almost 0 ads.

Good article though :)
  8. Jillxz

Jillxz TS Rookie Posts: 23

I use Firefox 15 with Adblock Plus and still get ads in Google search.
  9. yorro

yorro TS Booster Posts: 250

You know "Why these ads" link exists for a reason.

1. I think that Google should limit Ads by at least 2 on the main results.

2. Reclaim the extra white space on both left and right(especially) pane by extending the width of the main result.

Anyway, people shouldn't really dismiss the ads just like that. They do hold a little bit of relevance (for what its worth)

If some people really find it ads annoying, AdBlock is your friend.
  10. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 797   +217

Same here nothing but the real results no ads when searching for "saas help desk".
  11. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Its all about money ppl. Google is obviously getting something for displaying these ads at the top of their page. Ppl still need to be paid reguardless. This is how Google generates revenue. Besides, ads themselves can be useful if thats what you need. The inclusion of more ads is just Googles way of trying to balance function with profitability. Cant have one w/o the other or your just not in business.
  12. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 304   +62

It turns out I forgot I had AdBlock Plus enabled on Chrome. That's why I don't see any ads.

Anndd on that note, if you cared about ads enough to read this article, I would highly recommend getting AdBlock Plus if you have Firefox or Chrome!