TechSpot

Decade-long game of Civilization II leads to post-apocalyptic nightmare

By Matthew
Jun 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. It's 3991 AD. Mother Nature has consumed most of the Earth's surface. Humanity has destroyed the rest. Only 10% of the world's population remains and survivors are embroiled in a...

Read the whole story
  2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 636   +117

That's dedication right there. Unfortunately I have no tips. Or maybe it's fortunate that I have no tips. I like strategy games but could never get into the turn based ones.
  3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,068   +39

What did I just read there!? lol

And how long has he been playing this game? ..maybe I missed that?
  4. spectrenad

spectrenad TS Rookie Posts: 81   +16

the best civilization game ever made :D
  5. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

lol
    I play settlers 2 over lan. great game. Have had some matches last 10 hours, couldn't imagine the patience needed to keep this civ game going. Only thing that would make it better was if it was multiplayer and not AI.
  6. Justgivemeaname

Justgivemeaname TS Rookie Posts: 37

He's been playing off and on for 10 years. There's a whole thread over on reddit about it. Frankly, that's quite an impressive feat.
  7. Justgivemeaname

Justgivemeaname TS Rookie Posts: 37

Could you imagine the frustration you would have towards those people if it was a multiplayer game? If they were friends living in a close area I imagine violence would have erupted at some point in that 10 year game over nuking despite a UN treaty. Never played Civ 2 but I played the later games and people get extremely sensitive over those games. Never really understood why though.
  8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Just need one UFO and you got it.
  9. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 155   +8

me thinks Lycerius is a member of the inner party and is in cahoots with the AI to keep their population suppressed and occupied by war..
  10. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 371   +69

Great job, I got nostalgia this game literary glued me to my seat back in 2005 when the iraq war was going on. Lol I remember watching the war footage on cnn and playing this game.
  11. andy06shake

andy06shake TS Maniac Posts: 326

I know how to win, atleast from the planets view point. He has 2 other AI opponents, annihilate the weeker AI at the cost of the other AI gaining territory and then simply surrender. The AI thats left gets the job of cleaning up all the fallout and building a better world. Cant make more of an arse of it than man has allready eh? LoL.

12. spectrenad

spectrenad TS Rookie Posts: 81   +16

He needs to work on his counter-espionage... I don't remember many AI successfully planting a bomb in one of my town, and I played that game a lot, in every difficulty. Also, how can he maintains a decent production with towns that small? One last thing : the white player's unit stack at the left of the 1st picture would be a lot more effective if there was a fortress.
    I like how the article is written however. :)
  13. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

I too know how to win - just switch the *$@!@*!! thing off! :)
  14. Maybe the real lesson is to relate this game to the political power games that are played everyday between and within nations and see their is no real end to war; except true peace.
  15. lol its like civ is a Simulator of politics and strategy... please . this is only news worth in the sense its a long save game.

but other then the time it took to get there, its useles information.
    what lesson did you learn? "war will lead to destruction of humanity"

great, but you don't need a 10 year game to tell you that, just think a litle and you will realize that war is a cycle. and given opportunity...

I dont have a problem with the game or his progress, congratz to him. but its not news worthy.
  16. There is no True peace never has been and with Man, never will be.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.