TechSpot

Decent Sound Card. Nothin' Fancy

By groudon39
Feb 21, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

Since I'm currently using more CPU cycles with my onboard sound than I would like. I'm currently looking into a base model soundcard of sorts. I'm not loyal to any specific brand or anything, just would like to have a good one that will let me disable my onboard sound to reduce the workload of the CPU a little more.

Here's what I currently do/play right now

*Listen to a CD every so often, not all the time though
    *Watch a DVD occasionally
    *Play Flight Simulator 2004 quite a bit
    That's about all I do/play pertaining to sound.

The speaker setup I currently have is a 3 piece speaker system. A left and right speaker w/subwoofer. They are Labtec speakers, sorry, can't remember the model number for them. They sound great right now and the sub has a lot of bass even when it's turned down really, really low.

I would just like to hear what you guys think about a nice entry level soundcard that will enhance my music, movie, and FS experience on my computer. Thanks in advance, groudon39
  2. KA3

KA3 TS Rookie Posts: 37

a sound blaster live! should work just fine. theyre only about $30 online. look at tigerdirect.com, gameve.com or ebay. best of luck.
  3. snowman

snowman TS Rookie Posts: 312

sb lives are good quality cards.the hercules Fortissimo III is a good card for about $45 with plenty of features. check www.newegg.com for prices. its a newer card than the sb live series but priced very well. i plan to get one next paycheck.
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

SB Lives insist on installing sound for a DOS environment, thus taking away an extra interrupt and added resources, which may upset other hardware. Also, their software is rather bloated.

I agree with Snowman, that the Hercules Fortissimo III is the better choice. You can throw any speaker-combination at it, from 2.1 to 6.1 and I think even 7.1

Another Hercules model that I particularly like is the Game Theater XP. see the link:
    http://us.hercules.com/products/product.php3?id=17
  5. groudon39

groudon39 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

Thanks fellas, I'll seriously look into all the ones you suggested. Got another quick question for ya'. Why is it when I type in the word "computer" I have a link associated with it to some Mobile PC microsoft site? At least it's a link in my posts???? Thanks, groudon39
  6. groudon39

there....it did it again with the "Mobile" "PC" and "microsoft" words????? WTF?
  7. groudon39

Do I do that on this site, or on their site????? And how? I looked on both, couldn't find the place to place that text :S
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.