Deciding to upgrade Dell Studio to new Macbook Pro

zarajoe

Hey all,

I am looking at upgrading my Dell Studio 1737 to a new Macbook Pro 15". I have a few reasons for this including the following:

1. My current Dell is running a Core 2 Duo T9400 (2.53GHz) and its starting to show its age. By this I mean start up times are beginning to annoy me and I try to keep my laptop clean and running smoothly. Also I would like start backing up my DVD's onto my computer in H.264, but my laptop is just way too slow. It takes hours for one movie to be encoded and in the mean time my computer is not very responsive, which I don't like.

2. I would like to upgrade to a higher quality screen and better speakers. I'm no longer satisfied with the viewing angles on my Dell and the speakers are just horrible. Like really bad. My mum has the exact same laptop as me and her speakers are even worse.

3. I am going to be doing a lot of travelling soon and a big heavy 17" laptop is starting to look a little too big. I thought that a Macbook with a 15" screen, slim body and sturdy aluminium body would make a much better travel companion. I did consider a 13" laptop but that is a little too small for me.

In all the CPU performance would be the most important part of my decision. So what do you guys think, would it be a smart time to upgrade or not?

It depends on if you have money to spare. If CPU speed is the most important thing to you then you can get faster for cheaper if you don't get a MBP. I have a 17" Core i7 MBP that was just under $3k and I could probably get similar performance from a non-Mac for around $1500 or less.

I have the money so thats not a problem. You are right about MBP being expensive, thats why I have always avoided them in the past. But the MBP are just so nice. I wanted a Dell XPS but they haven't released there new Sandy Bridge based laptops in Aus yet. Well I haven't seen them anyway. I'll keep my eyes open, see what shows up. Cheers for the advice.

Wow! That looks really nice. The windows world really needs a computer company that, like Apple only make nice/expnsive machines.

Back