Which one?

• Asus P5Q Premium

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Asus Maximus II

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is my first post here, and it's a question. First a bit of History. I've only built one other system, and it was a pretty great build back in 2004. It was built literally a couple months before sockets 949/775 were first released, as well as the introduction of PCI-Express. Here is that rig, which is my current rig:

AMD Athlon 64 3200
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
2 GB Corsair DDR
ATI Sapphire X1600 Pro
Western Digital 250GB Hard Drive
Asus 450W Power Supply

Ok, now, i've been building a new system piece by piece, this is sorta a hobby in that i've liked building these systems so far ( helped a few friends out along the way) but, im a tight budget, so getting the latest is not always the case for me. I can get the greatest of the current just not the greatest of the latest.

What i mean by that is, yes i can splurge on some parts, but i can't on others if it doesn't make sense. Anyways without further adieu, this is what i have planned so far (** Indicate what i've bought)

Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.1GHz ( I will go quad when the 9870?? the quad core @ 3.0Ghz?? comes down in price )
Antec Nine Hundred**
Seagate 750GB Hard Drive**
Samsung DVD/CD Drive**
G.Skill 2 GB DRR-1066 ( x 2 for 4 GB total)**
Windows Vista Home Premium**
ATI 4870 1GB
Antec 650W NeoPower Modular PSU**

Of course this system will be used for gaming. As you can see only 2 parts remain: The Video Card and the Motherboard. The video card is set in stone. My problem comes into which of these two motherboards to pick up.

Asus Maximus II:
or

Asus P5Q Premium:

Now, i've had my eye on the P5Q Premium for quite some time, it has an extensive feature set, looks good. But then i stumbled across the Maximus II and it has a similiar feature set, minus a few features, but is said to tailor to the gamer crowd.

Now, im just wondering, since these boards are about $10 apart ( aside from special rebates ) which one would be the better buy? I've had my eye on the P5Q. Is the difference between these two boards neglible?

I guess here are additinal parameters: Which one has better OC software ( well built in ones anyways) Which OCs better and which runs more stable? Or is the difference so small it doesnt matter and just pick up the cheaper one?? Which system can run Crossfire with both cards @ x16 This is keeping me from finishing my new system!!

NOTE: My post count is too low to be able to post links, will post links after a few more posts

also, just wanted to add, that the prices on thses are a difference of ~5-10

I'd recommend the P5Q Pro or GA-EP45-DS3R instead of either of those boards. They support Crossfire at x8, but have PCI-E 2.0 slots, so it's basically the same as having two PCI-E 1.1 slots running at x16, which is good enough for any card out there. They're also far cheaper and OC just as well. The P5Q Pro is a particularly good OCer, with most people being able to reach 4GHz+ on their E8400\E8500 CPUs relatively easily.

Also, I'd recommend the E8400 instead of the E8500, basically because the E8500 is clocked only slightly higher and costs more than the higher frequency is worth.

Lastly, I recommend getting this RAM instead of that kit you picked out, mainly because you'd only need a very light OC to get this kit to 1066MHz and you'd be paying far lesser than what you'd pay for that 1066MHz kit.

Thank you for your recommendations. On the RAM i was able to get the ones i listed for about 60 bucks, so i figured it was a good deal. Plus, i already bought the processor/ram. Its just the video card and motherboard.

Video card i know what im getting, its just im torn between these two boards. Ive been happy for Asus, so far and would like to stick with them, nothing against any other board manufacturer, just sticking to what keeps me happy and what i know. Im sure i'd be saying the same thing if i started on x brand's motherboard ( although i have been almost drawn to Gigabyte/Foxconn/DFI )

Anywhoo, thanks for your recommendations as they are very good ones, yet,i have to still ask, if you had to choose between the two boards i mentioned, which would be better given the parameters i posted?

Your recommendations are very good, i wish i would have posted this before i started buying parts, but alas, i alreayd dipped into this so just trying to figure out the last piece of the puzzle :)

NOTE: I took a look at the P5Q Pro, and it is an excellent board, and its going for pretty cheap like 120 right now :) BUT, now out of curiosity, which of the above boards would be better

Oh another question; Does the P5Q Pro come with the same OC'ing software thats built in to the Maximus II and P5Q Premium?

If it does then the P5Q Pro is the better buy. Im interested in both the software for cpu OCs and the software for Asus Vid cards that come in built in like the P5Q Premium??

OCing via software is practically useless and not recommended. OCing is supposed to be done through the BIOS, which is practically identical on all the boards mentioned, including the P5Q Pro. The only useful difference between the more expensive boards and the P5Q Pro is the feature set, which includes "luxury options" (a.k.a. inessential features) such as 3 backup BIOS chips on the P5Q Premium.

But between the two boards, I'd go for the P5Q Premium due to the better OCing potential. The Maximus II Formula just doesn't OC that well for its price.

Thank you for the recommendations, i was just wondering which of two was better. Now that you threw in the P5Q Pro, though, im probably going to go with that, as it seems to have most if not all of the features of the other two, at a much "wallet-friendly" price, and on top of that, because im not losing any features that i know of, so far i don't have a feeling of "selling myself short". Anywhoo im going to keep looking at the features they each have, and if the only features these two offer over the pro are " 10 usb ports instead of 8" or "12 usb ports insted of 8" type of deal, thing im going for the Pro.

I must admit though, the "shiny" nature of the Premium and the Maximus II "grabbed" me.

Ok cool i have ordered the Asus P5Q Pro, i went through ALL the features, and found that all 3 are like 3 cars. 3 cars with the same engine,power doors etc..except the Premium would give you like extra cup holders, the Maximus a sunroof etc...stuff that is not really needed.

Anywhoo, i should be getting it in by Friday, so i will keep you guys posted, now i only need my video card and my Vista Home Premium CD and im good to go! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back