TechSpot

Default Cluster size for NTFS

By dbdaw59
Mar 13, 2008
  1. What is the default Cluster size setting when formatting a Windows NTFS Partition on a hard disk drive greater than 2GB ?

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. dbdaw59

dbdaw59 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Kimsland

thanks for replying so quickly and for the refrence link as well

Dave

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,450   +324

You have the option to change that default, but most of us don't have sufficient
    statistical information for a better guess :)

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,693   +86

NTFS default Block size = 512, I also change that 1024 for media recording..

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,450   +324

actually, it varies upon the raw size of the HD :)

7. kimsland

@tipstir

The default install size for NTFS is 4Kb

But...
    • If you convert a volume from FAT to NTFS, Windows always uses a 512 bytes
    • In Microsoft WindowsNT 4.0 and earlier, when a partition is formatted under Windows Setup, the partition is first formatted as FAT and then converted to NTFS. Therefore the cluster size is always 512 bytes
    Here is a very basic, (easy to read) Table: http://www.techgalaxy.net/Docs/WinXP/default_cluster_sizes.htm
    Here is MS article, which says 4Kb http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314878

8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,693   +86

I've change the default 1024kb, but only for large volumes use do record MP2. The max is 4096kb yes I know that. But the default can be changed in NTFS. I do this for newer drives. Again only on media servers that record video media when the file size is larger. Thus helps waste less space. Now if you have smaller files than 512kb would be enough. I have no problems using 1024kb on my HTPC box. Again now on the OS/Program HDD, just on secondary master this would be changed.

9. kimsland

Yes I agree with that 4Kb may not be the most optimized cluster size (ie too big)
    But it is the default

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.