Defrag Issues

By bomberman
Sep 7, 2008
  1. I have quite a startling problem, i use a 32 bit Vista OS, and i have a bunch of games i play on it. I uninstalled a few, they were all above 6 GB, so i though id defrag my harddisk. Well i tried to defrag with vista but the program never opens ( the default one).... then i tried Pc Tools Disk Suite, and everything was going smoothly, then my laptop just went off and i forgot that it was on low battery...

now the startling bit, wheni checked the amount of space i have on my hard drive i found out that i had actually 10 GB less than how much i had before i started the defrag. I started with 43 GB and now i have 33GB...i thought defrag was supposed to clear space..

and i think the sudden shut down of the computer messed it up.

2. AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup TS Rookie Posts: 16

Do a disk check by do RunAs Administrator and check the drive for errors on reboot.
    See if that corrects it.
  3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

4. bomberman

bomberman TS Rookie Topic Starter

i am runningPc Suite Disk defrag again and now i check i have 60 GB of space.. this is getting really weird....thanks both for the advice im getting, really appreciate it...

anything i should watch out for??? any thing for the Vista Defragment program not opening?
  5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Try this: (Running Vista Defrag from the Command line)

Go to elevated command prompt by running it as an administrator. Then issue the command “defrag -c -v”. The system will defragment all the volumes on the computer in verbose mode. After the defragmentation completes, it will show detailed analysis output.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.