Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I defragged a drive an it said defrag completed, but when I did the analysis it says this drive needs to be defragged. what could be the underlying problem here. there is 50gb on the drive but only 7gb available could this be the problem?

Was it a full defrag or quick ? ?
If you can i would back up / move some of that data as with 15% free space you are taking somewhat of a performance hit.
Again check the settings in your defrag utility and re-run it on full defrag.

patio. :cool:

You are right at the edge of what a HD can do. A defragger needs space to defrag. For that reason, you should always keep about 15% free space available on any harddisk.
Your HD figures as quoted, prove that theory.
Do some spring-cleaning, Temp directories, files with extensions .cpy or .tmp and uninstall those programs/games you have not used since last summer!
Then crack open your piggy-bank and go buy another harddisk, they are cheap.

I have 19% free my my HD (10GB several year old Maxtor drive) and it's currently about 70% fragmented or something rediculous like that. However, when I run the windows defrag utility, it moves stuff around, but the drive is still mostly fragmented.
Any suggestions?

Make more room. If this is the partition Windows lives on then turn off the swapfile and boot into safe mode to defragment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back